Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diarrhea after chemo/radiation therepy.
jetmaio posted:
I had surgery on Feb 8th for sigmoid/rectol cancer. 1 of the 12 lymp nodes was cancerous so it was prescribed to have 5fu chemo along with radiation. This was a 28 day regiment. I am now finished and waiting for the healing to begin. At this point I will not mention the horror I experienced with the radiation all pointed to my pelvis and anus.

My main concern or question is how long to expect the diarrhea to stop! I really can't eat anything at all. The minute my hunger gets the best of me and I eat something I spend the next 6 hours having extreme diarrhea. It has come to the point where I can't make it in time to the toilet and I'm getting more and more depressed. I felt fine Feb. 7th.

Any suggestions of real food that might stay with me. I just don't want any more clear liquids.

jetmaio

tammyrobo responded:
I had radiation and chemo before surgery. I started having bad diarrhea and discussed it with my radiation doctor and he advised that I have no dairy in my diet at all. Which did not seem like a big deal because I didn't think I ate all that much dairy. Well it was more difficult than I thought because everything seems to have cheese in it especially if you try to eat out. Anyway it really did help me tremendously. On the occasions that I slipped and had even the smallest amount of dairy it would start all over again. I also got a prescription for lomotil. I would take it sometimes or just regular immodium. My doctor said I could take up to 8 immodiums a day. Thankfully the highest I ever went on one occasion was 5. Typically it would take 2 or 3. The lomotil would typically take one or two. To this day (1year and a half) I still don't tolerate dairy very well. I wish you all the best and I really hope this tip works for you. I know it can be hard sometimes because I'm still dealing with some things after having my ostomy bag reversed last year in July. I thought things would be a lot better at this point, but you just have to keep fighting and it will get better. Please post back soon to let me know if this tip works for you.

P.S. Soy milk and cheese are good. Even if I ever can tolerate dairy again, I will stick with the soy.

brunosbud responded:
The day after my friend had colon resection surgery for Stage 4 CR cancer, they served her Filet Mignon and green beans...

We're not talking East Po-Dunk...This is at one the top rated hospitals in Southern California (Newport Beach)!

I asked her oncologist about diet after her surgery and during Chemo. Any restrictions?

His (sarcastic) reply , "Who said anything about 'restrictions'? She can eat anything she wants..."

She insisted on following her doctors orders (which I agree) and paid the price. The day she was scheduled to leave the hospital, they fed her a roast beef sandwich. She ate just half...I had to take her back to the ER a day later because of pain, gas, and diarrhea.

I'm no registered dietician, mind you, but there are many references to what people should eat after major digestive track surgery on the internet. First-hand accounts...
Soft, bland, non spicy, non fried, low sugar, veggies cooked to mush, no nuts, trial and error on just about everything, Boost or Ensure...

...Stuff you would feed a new born (Is that not logical?).

"Who said anything about 'restrictions'?"

Who do you believe?

survivorsylvia11 responded:
I,too, had chemo and radiation, and when I tried to eat "whatever you can tolerate", according to the docs, it was an open invitation for bouts of diarrhea to which I got an anal fissure that is chronic and it won't heal. I have tried every remedy I have found to no avail.
The thing I want to say is, have patience. It takes at least a year in some cases for the diarrhea to stop, and then it still can rear it's ugly head anytime and anyplace.
BUT we are cancer free and for that we are blessed.
White rice, bananas, tea, and toast without butter are what I live on...and immodium )
Don't get depressed if you can help it. I have spent many years fighting the depression becuase I am no longer "normal" due to the cancer.
Depression comes so easily, but try to put on music or read a fun book, or call a friend, or write in here and I will try to answer you.
Blessings on your day.

ronanngilbert1 responded:
I had and have same problem. I little different treatment, but I think the radiation may be mainly responsible. Be patient and choose your foods carefully. I've been suffering for 2 yrs now, after my surgery, and it's SLOWLY improving, very slowly! Try bananas, high-content probiotic yogurt, lots of water,and you might want to try one immodium when it gets too bad. Don't overdose on the immodium, though. It can lock you up prettty bad. Good luck! I can truly sympathize.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center