Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hereditary Colorectal cancer
suresht posted:
My dad was diagnosed with stage II colon cancer in 2006 and was subsequently operated and given chemo. He got it at the age of 49-50.
Apart from my dad, no one else in our family had cancer.

even though there is no family history of cancer, i am a little worried that it could be starting of the heredity. How would I confirm that I am/ am not at a greater risk of developing cancer later on?

I read about HNPCC...how would i get it tested for HNPCC? Is it available in India?

tammyrobo responded:
I don't know much about HNPCC, but I know a little about family history and heredity. My paternal grandmother had colon cancer in her early 60's back around 1983. Unfortunetly they did not have good screening back then and she died from the disease. They said when you have family history you should do your first colonoscopy at 40 instead of 50. Well back in 2009 I turned 40 in March, at the end of April I had a bleeding episode so I went to see a GI doctor and she felt it was hemmroids but because of family history she said lets go ahead and do a colonoscopy. On June 18 I was diagnosed with colon cancer and after it was removed they told me it was stage 3b. After 2 years I am cancer free. Thanks to God. I also had no other family members with a history of this deasease. So what ever this HNPCC testing shows or doesn't show please get your colonscopy done early. For me to have caught it early in the polop stage I would have needed to get tested at about 35. Best wishes.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center