Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Abdominoperineal resection and permanent colostomy.
ross53 posted:
I am having a fight with my medical insurance company who refuse to cover my pouches. My insurance is paid by my employer.The insurer says the pouches are prosthesis or appliances and therefore policy exclusions. I don't think this is right. Has anybody had a similar experience and were you able to change the insurers minds.

TammyRobo responded:
I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the insurance company when you have so much more important issues that you should be spending your energy on. I did not have this problem, the only thing I could suggest is talk to your primary care doctors office to see if the person who deals with insurance companys may have a solution for you. When I was first diagnosed I was having a problem with getting a prescription chemo pill approved and the head chemo nurse who also helps with insurance was able to get it all straight for me in just a matter of 2 days. Another option you might want to try is to see if you have a local ostomy support group in your area. They help people who are having trouble affording there supplies and I'm sure they may have someone who has been through a similar situation. They get donations of supplies. I found one in my area when I had my reversal, and was able to donate my excess. It felt good to know that I would be helping someone. Wish you all the best. Post soon if you get this worked out.

One last thing, sometimes its how the claim is written. When I thought I might be losing my hair I was told the insurance would pay for a wig but I had to call it a cranial something or other but to make sure I did not call it a wig. Good Luck

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center