Skip to content
Colon Cancer Prognosis
blouf posted:
I'm caring for my mother who is almost 87, was diagnosed with inoperable colon cancer almost 2 yrs. ago. She was in stage III; and they could not remove any because it was into the base of bladder, pelvic wall, and the vaginal area. She took oral Xeloda last year; but is not able to take any more. What kind of prognosis is there for someone in her condition? I'm the only one to care for her and I just need some guidance on what to expect. Thanks!

blouf responded:
Please, if anyone can shed some light on her situation. It's scary not knowing what's to come. She is already experienc-ing some pain in stomach area, and having decreased appetite. Thanks!

jbearva replied to blouf's response:
I would love to give some advice, but just have none for you. What are the doctors telling you? Are they able to do anything else for her, such as chemo or some alternative treatments? Hopefully it works out for your mom, as a CR cancer survivor (so far) I can empathize with the scariness of the unknown.

blouf replied to jbearva's response:
Thanks for responding! Actually, she hasn't seen the oncolo-gist since December; as she released her to hospice. There is nothing else that can be done at her age and condition. Also hhas lg. hernia which is pushing out the stoma. There is so much going on in there that she is not a candidate for surgery oor further treatment. Just palliative care at this point. It's both scary and exhausting to try and look ahead!

Helpful Tips

Tip Title
Please, if your husband is having rectal bleeding please get him a colonoscopy asap...My husband was diagnoased just a year ago with no ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center