Skip to content
theloveofmylife
theloveofmylife posted:
my husband and his entire family have been on a horrible cancer rollercoaster journey. At 39 1/2 years as of March 2011 he was told the cancer had spread from his rectum to his liver with 4 lessions and was now stage IV and only maintenance chemo would help prolong his life. Since then he has underwent 4 full treatments of metastatic chemo (oxil,avastain,folfox) and 1 partial chemo and will have liver surgury in July. This new team of doctors have never mentioned any statistics for my husband but are optimistic about this surgury. We know he has residual cancer remaining in his rectum and he meets with a new colorectal team July 5 to discuss this cancer area too. We will not know anything until pathology comes back. To look at my husband you would not no that he is battling stage IV cancer, he has gained weight, gaining energy which is so wonderful because when he took those last 5 chemo treatments he could barely move for a week. We ae trying to stay so positive and we pray daily for long term remission but we are still told that this is advanced cancer, but miracles happen everyday and i just hope and pray we receive that miracle and he can walk his three daughters down the aisle one day.He is such an amazing individual and my rock. I just still can't believe that we are facing such an ugly illness and i just so wish that he will kick these cancers and live strong for decades and on.

brunosbud responded:
My best friend was diagnosed w/ stage 4 CR cancer two months ago. Liver and lung spread...Had resection surgery. Did well and recovered nicely. She is receiving chemo infusions every 2 weeks...not so bad (to our surprise).

As your husband, she is in her prime years (52)...single mom and three great kids...Tough as nails, yet, the sweetest gal.

There was a faction in her support team, early on, that spoke to her of things like "odds of survival" and "only a miracle..." They have quietly faded into the background.

She is deeply involved with her faith...Her faith has told her, "Pray but be diligent, give yourself every chance and you will be rewarded for your efforts."

Every doctor and every nurse have been helpful and uplifting. I transport, grocery shop and help with her youngest...Other high school moms bring meals, nightly. Her boss won't stop sending her a weekly paycheck. Church members rain unbelievable gifts and assistance on a nightly basis....Everyone helps. A little cottage industry, actually.

She has mentioned to me on a few occasions, "If I didn't go through this, I never would have known (about what I have)..."

There's a message, there, I think...

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center