Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
chronic anal fissure from rectal cancer
survivorsylvia11 posted:

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in Jan 2000, had chemo, radiation, 2 surgeries, and have been cancer free for 11 years. About 2 years ago, I developed an anal fissure. It is EXTREMELY painful after bowel movement, and is a DAILY problem for me. I have tried sitz baths, and creams and lidocaine ointments per doc, but to no avail.
Does anyone have this same issue, and what do you do to ease the pain? This is ruling my life.
My surgeon says the radiation to the area around the rectum has caused the fissure.

theloveofmylife responded:
CONGRATULATIONS on being a cancer survivor for 11 yrs & we wish you so many more blessed years. Sorry for the problems you are currently going thru.I would like to know what was the stage of your rectal cancer & any info about your cancer you would like to share.My husband has stage IV rectal cancer now with 4 lesions (mets) to liver he is 39 1/2 yrs of age and was 1st diagnosed as stage 3 in Nov. 2010 so he went thru 6weeks of 5FU chemo,28 radiations treatments, sugury to remove the cancer tumor in March 2011 & then received the news the cancer had spread.He is having the liver lesions removed in early July (wedge them out) & we will no more info once pathology comes back.This illness is so hard for me to understand because he was so healthy & no signs of this illness except for bleeding so he saw his family dr early Nov pushed for colonoscopy (which dr thought was a waste of time) & was devasted to learn he had a 6 X 3 inch tumor only 5 inches into his rectum & he had yearly poop cultures and physicals & had a clean bill of health in March 2010.My husband worked 65 hrs a week till 2 weeks befor surgury, even thru treatments, and then to be told it did not shrink but had grown to 7 X 4 (KRAS) so he has taken 4 full rounds of metastatic chemo (avastinm oxil, folfox) and 1 partial chemo.Our community, friends, & family have been so supportive and i think the entire community is praying so hard for him & his family to put this illness into full remission because he is such an amazing, loving, strong, faithful individual who has 3 daughters to raise and a wife to grow old with to help raise grandchildren to. I believe in miracles and i pray daily for ours and for a cure for this terrible illness. Any help and guidance would be appreciated because i want to remain strong for our family but at times i just cant stop crying and worrying.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center