Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Where do I start?
SoFarAway posted:
My father was diagnosed in Aug of 2010 with stage 3 colon cancer. He had 97% of a large tumor removed that was connected to the bladder, colon, abdominal wall and stomach. All the tests on the tumor as well as the lymphnodes came back neg. It was a huge shock for my family considering he gone in for surgery to correct his diverticulitis. My sister and I both live across the country from my parents. We imediately flew in upon hearing of the tumor. The next few weeks were a lot of scans, mris, and cts. He was given 6 months of chemo with avastin. He breezed through it like nobody had ever seen. He continued to work. His cancer indicators plummited. At the end he was given a final pet scan and it came back totally clean. He scheduled his surgery to have colostomy take down and went in...it horrible shock to find out he had 4 new tumors and the 3% that was left from the first tumor had grown through his vascular system. this time the lymphnodes came back positive for mets cancer, as well as the tumor. The original tumor would be his demise as it was wrapped around the blood supply to all of his organs. And another round of chemo would def be on the plate. I am worried this round will be stronger and he won't be able to muscle through it. And ultimately my mother will not handle it alone. They have spoken with my husband and I about moving to our area. If he went down hill it would be the best place for them. I hate the idea of bringing it up them but I don't know if there will ever be a "good time" to talk about it. Or how to start a conversation like that. I guess my questions are has anyone elsed faced distance circumstances like this? And how did oyu handle it? Or cancer itself like my father's and how did they do?

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center