Skip to content
Hiccups and Chemotherapy
AmigoMio posted:
Hi,

I was diagnosed Rectal cancer stage 3 in February 2010, I went through radiotherapy/Chemotherapy and recently a surgery. Now I am starting 5 months of Chemotherapy (FOLFOX) Oxaliplatin, 5FU, plus a number of antisickness medications, I don't know what drug is causing this but I have a severe case of hiccup (non stopping) day and night, can't sleep well, and I am only in my first week of chemotherapy. Could you let me know if you know if you have experienced hiccup due to chemotherapy and what you did to cure it,

Thanks to you all.

hopefulandhelpful responded:
Hi Amigo Mio,
My husband's story is similar to yours - although he has just completed his 6 months of chemo (had surgery in November). He had hiccups quite often during the last 6 months, but no longer has this side effect. He would down small packets of raw sugar very quickly to get rid of hiccups. It worked, but we have since learned that sugar is very bad for cancer and can effect neuropathy symptoms. One month after chemo his main problems are the tingling and numbness he experiences in his hands and feet. Make sure you are taking your B vitamins...have you been offered any advice from your doctors? We do a lot of research on-line...Good luck!

AmigoMio replied to hopefulandhelpful's response:
Hi Hopefulandhelpful,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I am just starting the chemo post-surgery so hiccups are new for me I am talking to doctors too, but it seems that nobody knows for sure what to do to stop it, they are looking at the antisikcness medications and see if that is something that may cause this, so they can change it, but the true is that I thought they would have known by now as I am sure I am not the first having this, I am looking for alternatives medicines to stop it now. I didn't know about the B Vitamins but I am eating well, I will keep an eye on that, thanks a lot.

Helpful Tips

Colonscopy Prep -- Worked Great
I had a really good experience with my colonoscopy and wanted to advise folks. The day before the procedure only drink clear liquids, ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center