Skip to content
NEWLY DIAGNOSED
lulusbesos posted:
Hello looking for advice I was newly diagnosed with Colon cancer stage 1, it is all new and i know nothing I am sceduled to have surgery in a few days with the cancer being so close to my rectum 3/4 cm they are saying it may not be possible to save my rectum and i may have the possibility of having a permanent bag. I am 50 yrs old female, not sure if i need a 2nd opinion and wait or trust the Dr. he has been doing this for 30 yrs? anyone who could give advice would be greatly appreciated. Lulu

46Hope responded:
Hello, on july 15, 2010, I was diagnosed with stage 2 Colon Cancer. I was 44 years old. My tumor was less than 3 cm from my rectum. My doctor told me and my husband that he could not save my rectum and that I was going to end up with a permanent bag. We were advised to call Sloan Kettering for a second opinion from a Dr. trained by them with the necessary skills to at least try to save my annus. They gave us Dr. Michael Lieberman of the New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center. He recommended 6 weeks of radiation and chemiotherapy followed by surgery. The Oncologyst Dr. Allyson Ocean decided on using Xeloda for the Chemio treatment instead of the regular infusion. At the end of this combined treatment, I had a pet scan done, which results read " No residual malignancy". Dr. Lieberman performed my first surgery on Dec. 16, 2010. My annus was saved and was given a temporary bag (an ileostomy) which was reversed during my second surgery on June 23, 2011. My Doctors tell me I am cancer free now,thank God. I advise you to look for a second opinion. Good luck to you. I will pray for you.

vicfoli70 responded:
I just turn 41 on january and on feb 14 the doctors diagnosed me with colorectal cancer stage 1, I have some tests and procedures and the found that the cancer was just at the beginning of the rectum and so they told the posibility that I may be end up with a permanent bag also as you but they did the surgery remove as far as I know a part of my rectum and some colonn too, and thanks god 4 months later I'm getting better every day and yes I have some truble adjustimg my digestive system after the surgery but no bag and any more treatmens such quimo and radiation.Hope you can have a similar case as mine and that help you get some peace of mind.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center