Skip to content
Should I go to a doctor ASAP?
pinkytiniavalon posted:
I've been constipated for over a month, and it used to be that I could only poop out little balls at a time, now they're thicker but I still poop very little.I have abdominal cramps. I used laxative a couple days ago and not much came out, what did come out was really thin. I see red stuff in my stool, when I examined it some of it is tomato skin (i had cherry tomatoes two days ago) and some of it was soft red stuff and I had no idea what it was. Everytime I go I have to strain REALLY hard just to get it to, what it feels like, travel down the colon

I used to persistently have streaks of red blood on my poop. I dismissed it because I was diagnosed with hemmarroids 4 years ago.
This is such a sudden change for me because my stool was always thick and long and a lot. I also recently just landed in the ER for shortness of breath problems and they couldnt find anything wrong with my lungs and dismissed it as anxiety. I'm also often tired.

Its been a month. and last month I was under a lot of stress that subsided only a week ago. I'm eating a lot of fiber and drinking a lot of water.

I'm 19, female, my grandpa was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in his late 60's (like 68 ish)

Could I possibly have colon cancer??? I'm freaking out and I wont have medical insurance for another 26 days!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?I've heard of a lot of people having colon cancer around age 20...I dont think age has to play a part in diagnosis. Also, last year in college I lived a really inactive lifestyle, sitting ALL the time.

Junebugjelly responded:
Since your grandfather had colon cancer you should get checked immediately. You should have a colonoscopy done.

jasonsto71 replied to Junebugjelly's response:
yes you should go ASAP

ike1954 responded:
I agree with the 2 replies below. Get further checkout ASAP.
If you ar getting insurance with in the month like you said, it should work to get checked after that. Parts of what you described matched my symptoms prior to my Colonoscopy and discovery of my cancer. Actually alot of what you said matched,after re-reading.. Just take it easy till you get a docs opinion , there is no need to get worked up until you find out what is going on. High anxiety is not going to get you anywhere okay??!!

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center