Skip to content
My Husband has just been diagnosed with colorectal cancer
jb0730 posted:
My husband whom is 49 years old has just been diagnosed with colorectal cancer we do not know what stage it is yet I hope it is not bad. They found a tumor in the transverse colon and a tumor in the rectum the doctor said this was unusual I have tried to find out information on this but they separate the cancers into two different catagories i am so confused. I would like to find out the prognosis or what the probable cure rate percent is ? Would anyone happen to have experienced something like this?

brunosbud responded:
I hope you don't spend too much time on "cure" rates...

Anything less than 100% would be cause for worry. Much of that information uses old data. The age for most cancer patients is older than your husband. Plus, wouldn't you prefer to focus more of your attention on the problem at hand?

imo, nutrition and diet play a very big part in colon cancer. I also believe that changes in diet are very difficult to make. Thirdly, when it comes to diet, everybody "eats healthy". It's always "other" people that make poor food choices. Thus, when people get colon cancer, they never feel the need to change their diet. They ate "healthy" before, why mess with it? Logic screams for lifestyle adjustments, yet, colon cancer patients just want to get back to their "lives" before the diagnosis...and, of course, their favorite foods.

Doctors and hospitals don't cure cancer; patients cure cancer. More specifically, patient's immune system and healthy organs cure cancer. These are tools that will defend your husband's life. Maybe it's time to strengthen his "arsenal", now, so he'll be ready to fight new cancer cells from returning?

There's work to be done, changes to be made. A lot of self education has to happen, now! With the right guidance, your husband has a great chance of making a full recovery.

So stay positive and calm and try not to be too concerned about "cure" rates. Hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

Colonscopy Prep -- Worked Great
I had a really good experience with my colonoscopy and wanted to advise folks. The day before the procedure only drink clear liquids, ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center