Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Surprise..I have Colorectal Cancer
SueBGood posted:
I was operated on September the 15th for the removal of a cancerous tumor in the large intestine. 16 1/2 inches was removed and the results came back and I'm cancer free. It had not spread to any of my organs or the lymph nodes. Why then am I asked to get chemo therapy treatments? My doctor says I had an aggressive type of cancer. Why would I run down my immune system and take a chance of destroying my chances of fighting this disease. I'd rather be followed closely for any changes that may occur. Has anyone gone through this and did you have any chemotherapy?
TammyRobo responded:
I had my surgery Oct 16th 2009. When the pathology came back I was staged at 3B. It had not spread to any other organs but it was in 21 out of 24 lymph nodes that were removed. They felt they got them all but said I had a 70% chance it would come back if I did not do the follow up chemo and only 30% chance if I did. Those odds were enough for me to go ahead with the treatment. It was 12 treatments every 2 weeks for six months. It was not an agressive type of chemo because it was considered preventative. The side effects were minimal, I lost some hair and could not drink anything too cold. Every other Wed. I received treatment in the doctor's office and then I had to wear a fanny pack for 46 hours with a second type of chemo. I worked through the entire process even did 12 hour shifts on Fridays with the fanny pack on. I also had an ostomy bag at the same time I was dealing with.

It is something you definately have to decide for yourself, I finished my treatment in May of 2010. I am still cancer free up till now and feeling better than ever. My best wishes go out to you and what ever you decide I wish you only the best for however you decide to take this journey.
ike1954 responded:
Yup , Sue I had my tumor removed from my lower rectum
Last year alomost to the day. I also had NO other indication
that the cancer had moved anywhere and it was not in any of the 23 lymph nodes removed. I did not go thru any chemo. I have been seeing the oncologist once a quarter, I have had 1 PET scan and 2 MRI since. We follow all blood work looking for abmormailities in the liver and kidney and the CEA number.
Last week I had another colonoscopy and had 3 polyps removed,still awaiting results on the biospsy. Once I had been told I has no indication of cancer I was not going to do chemo.
My doc agreed. We will b e doing 1/4 visits for another year, then 6month for 2 years then 1 per year. with PET and MRI scans mixed in and aonther Colonoscopy in 2-3 years. It may be your cancer can return fast and overrun within a 1/4. I kinda did not want to just take chemo and kill anything that was good just to find a cell or 2. The PET scan has a marker in it to designate cancer cells and with a no show there I lucked out and my doc said no chemo - just very close watching.

G' luck and fight fight fight.

Helpful Tips

A doctor review website that converts marketing costs into medical research funds
A great way to support colon cancer research is signing up to through Colon Cancer Alliance link. For every sign up ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center