Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need help!
An_240687 posted:
I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in March, 2011. Surgery removed a foot of the colon along with the cancer. I had 3 chemo treatments before stopping the treatments. My initial CT scan, MRI and Bone Scan showed nothing. I just had another follow up CT scan, and now they have found the cancer has spread to the liver. I am a firm believer in quality of life vs quantity of life. The Doctor wants to schedule surgery right away to remove the cancerous part of the liver, followed by more chemo. I am asking for advice. I have known several people who have had cancer, and it seemed like whenever they were cut open for surgery, the cancer spread quickly and they were gone in a matter of months. I am 47, and I am not afraid to die. I am terrified though of not being able to LIVE what is left of my life if I am going through chemo treatments. Any advice is appreciated.

junebugjelly responded:
I was diagnosed with stage IV rectal cancer in Nov. 2004. At that time cancer had already spread to my liver and they found three spots on one lobe of my liver.I was treated at West Penn, Pittsburgh, PA. Had one round of chemo and radiation to shrink the tumors before surgery. Surgery in March 2005 to remove tumor. Another round of chemo. Then a liver ablation in September 2005 to burn the tumors on my liver. Another round of chemo. CT scans every 3 months. Found more spots on same lobe of liver in 2007. Another liver ablation. No chemo. August 2008 CT scan showed spot on center lobe of my lung. September 2008 surgery to remove my center lobe of right lung. Another round of chemo. Been cancer free since. I am still working full time and have a full life. I believe strongly in chemo and surgery. The cancer will not spread when they open you up. The cancer is already there and has spread if it is stage IV. Chemo is no picnic but I am alive and cancer free today and I would never have done anything differently.

cjtigers responded:
I am so sorry to hear they found more cancer on your liver. I am 48 and was diagnosed in Jan of 2010 with stage 2. What you are going through right now is one of my worst fears, but I urge you to keep fighting. Everyone responds to treatment differently so I say think positive and give it your best shot. I'm sure your doctors can give you some idea of what to expect. Be frank and truthful with them so they can guide you in the direction you want to go. Good luck and best wishes. Keep us posted.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center