Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids vs. Colon Cancer?
FatherOfMMs posted:
So a couple of weeks ago I noticed some bright red spotting on my TP as I wiped. I brushed it off as nothing since it only happened during one BM. The past 2 days I have had some discomfort during BM and it concerned me a little so I did a self inspection during a shower. I noticed a small bulge on the left side of my rectum. It is right on the boundary of what I would consider internal and external. It seems slightly tender but not exactly painful.

I am only 28 and don't have a family history of cancer. I have a check up in a few weeks. Should I try and move it up or be concerned or does this just sound like a hemorrhoid and just mention it at my check up? The location makes me think it's just a hemorrhoid but I got paranoid after doing a little googling and learning that the symptoms are very similar. I'm barely overweight and haven't exactly gotten a great amount of dietary fiber over the past year. Could these be contributors to a hemmorhoid?

Angelskye responded:
It may be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it and see what his (or her) thoughts are about the urgency of the appointment. My husband had similar bleeding a few years ago and his doctor said he thought it was hemorrhoids but they would need to do a colonoscopy to check. At the time, his doctor said it could be cancer, but it was unlikely given his age (30, at the time). He had a doctor's order, but never set up the appointment to have one. Last year, he was diagnosed with stage IIIb colorectal cancer, which we could have probably caught much sooner and treated much easier had he gone to get it checked out. The most likely answer for you (as it was for him) is probably a hemorrhoid, but you never know and in my opinion, it's probably better safe than sorry. Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center