Skip to content
bathing a woman with an ostomy bag?
An_242628 posted:
My mother inlaw has had an ostomy for over fifteen years and as of late her alztimers is gotten so bad and her sence of smell is gone and she doesnt knowshe smells and she isnt gettin her bag on rite cause it keeps comming lose in bed at night my sisiter inlaw and I are trying to help since she caint function but i have never bathed a woman with an ostomy and dont know the does and donts every since she has had this procedure my mother in law has been taking only spong baths in the sink we are trying to bathe her and do rite for her but i want to make sure of what i am doing so i may do no harm can you send me information that gives details of how to handle this situation?
I thank you in advance for you tme and trouble

tammyrobo responded:
I had an ostomy bag for 9 months. It is actually easier than you might think to take care of it. I'm sorry to hear she felt that she could only take sponge baths because you can bathe normally with an ostomy. The only thing you need to be careful with is the stoma (the part of the intestine that is protruding out), it has no nerve endings so it will never hurt her if you touch it but it can bleed easily. Don't freak out though if you see blood because it will be minor and should stop right away. I would say the best thing to compare it too is a paper cut as far as the amount bleeding goes. If you go on You Tube they have a lot of videos showing ways of taking care of ostomies.

I want to commend you and your sister in law for stepping up and taking care of your mother in law. Not a lot of people these days would do what the 2 of you are doing. God Bless you and your family during these difficult times. Please let me know if this helps and keep posting to let us know how things are going.

kmeoz replied to tammyrobo's response:
thank you tammy.
does it affect the bag adhesive to get it wet? she has been having trouble with the skin around it breaking out from when she tears it loose we are having trouble keeping her out of control top pantie hose and girdles she thinks she needs them to keep it on so it causes it to fail we havent gotten to throw them all out she has stuff stashed everywhere and wont let us throw anything out and caint get her out of house long enough to clean things out so she keeps having failures and she is suppose to change her bag once a week and needs baths between changes

tammyrobo replied to kmeoz's response:
No water should not do anything to the adhesive. I never did but I know of people who have gone swimming in the ocean with their ostomy and never had an issue of it coming off. When I was first adjusting to the bag I would have times when I would have to change the wafer sometimes 3 times in a 24 hour period. My skin would end up so raw that I was in extreme pain. The control top panty's are definately a problem. I was working and would use panty hose, which I thought was helping it stay in place but infact it was causing it to come loose. My e-mail address is nbktr19@yahoo.com , if you e-mail me what type of ostomy she is using I have something I could send you that might help her keep the bag on that I think she may agree to. Please let me know.

Tammy

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center