Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bowels not working since Surgery
tamarabradshaw posted:
Look I am having a problem. My dad had surgery due to the fact that he has rectal cancer. Now since they did the surgery he has not been able to use his bowels. What can we do to help him

tammyrobo responded:
When did your dad have his surgery? During surgery they have to basicly put your bowels to "sleep". It took four days for my bowels to wake back up after my first surgery. Then when I had my second surgery to remove my ostomy bag it took about 4 days to wake up and then after a day and a half they stopped again for about 2 days. Everything has been fine since. They should have him on a liquid diet until his bowels wake up. I hope this helps you. Keep us posted on his progress.

God Bless

tamarabradshaw replied to tammyrobo's response:
Tammy I want to thank you for your help. My dad went into surgery on 1-09-12 and as of 1-16-12 they had to move my dad into another room because my dads bowels was posioning him and now he has an ng tube in. With that tube in he is doing better and has gotten his color back. Right now we are all praying that he is able to get better.See 2 days after surgery they feed he reg. food and I think that was stupid. My dad said he just wants them to operate and fix what is wrong so he can go home. But the good thing is that they got all the cancer out.

tammyrobo replied to tamarabradshaw's response:
I'm sorry to hear he had to go through so much. I hope he is feeling better by now. I can't believe they tried to feed him before his bowels woke up. After my first surgery my doctor had me on ice chips only ( I lost 15 pounds in 5 days) I never felt hungry I guess because of the IV drip. After my second surgery I was allowed liquid but absolutely no food. When my bowels went back to sleep I asked the nurse if I could just have some saltine crackers and she "No Way" . Best wishes.

I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL O YOUR KIND WORDS THAT YOU HAVE SENT THIS WAY. MY DAD GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL BUT HE MIGHT HAVE TO GO BACK IN CAUSE HE STILL CAN NOT EAT AND HE HAS LOST LIKE 20 POUNDS FROM THIS. HE HAD TO GO THROUGH A SECOND SURGERY A WEEK AFTER HIS FIRST ONE AND THEY GAVE HIM AN NG TUBE, CAUSE IF NOT THE TOXINS WOULD HAVE KILLED. MY DAD IS A VERY STRONG MAN AND HE IS FIGHTING THIS ALL THE WAY. IT IS NICE TO COME ON AND FIND YOUR MESSAGES IT PULLS ME THROUGH THIS ORDEAL THAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH. THANK YOU FOR STANDING BY OUR SIDE. KEEP THE PRAYS COMING EVERYONE THEY HAVE REALLY HELPED. THANK YOU ALL.

tammyrobo replied to tamarabradshaw's response:
I'm sorry that I have not posted sooner but my computer caught a cold(virus). I just got back up and running today after just about a month.

Anyway I'm sorry to hear that your father was still having complications. Is he any better now? I wish I had more knowledge of this to help you but please know that I think about you and your father often. I wish you and your family the best. Prayers always.

Hey How are you doing? Well my dad is doing a little better now. They had to go back to the doctors and they said he is malnorished and they had to tell him twice what he needed. Now that the doctor finally listened my dad has gained 20lbs. in 7 days. And now my brother is having problems and my mother is in remission from colon cancer, and my appt is on March 29. Wish me luck I am so scared because of what my whole family has gone through with this cancer.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center