Skip to content
colon cancer
An_243423 posted:
I am a 71 year old female. Following a recent colonoscopy my doctor advised me to do nothing but have another colonoscopy in 2 to 3 years. But he also said if I were 45 he would recommend surgery. The lab report said" Tubular adenoma no high grade melonoma or dysplasa" I am confused as to what to do next. Should I get a second opinon and if yes from who?
brunosbud responded:
A few things to consider...

  • The reason why your doctor asks you to step on a scale every time you visit? Its not the weight from a single visit that's significant...Its a change in weight that often signals something's not right.
  • Please read the following: The Cleveland Clinic's Nissen has seen firsthand what happens when doctors, armed with too much information, perform what turn out to be unnecessary procedures. In 2009 a 52-year-old woman with chest pain underwent a cardiac CT at a community hospital. Neither her LDL (bad) cholesterol nor her C-reactive protein (another risk factor for heart disease) were elevated. But since the CT showed several coronary plaques, her physicians performed coronary angiography. Complications ensued, and the woman wound up undergoing more procedures, one of which tore an artery. She eventually went to the Cleveland Clinic for a heart transplant—not because she had heart disease when it all started, says Nissen, but because of the cascading interventions triggered by the CT scan. It is well documented that certain particular areas of medicine often encounter the charge of "over treatment by guilty of screening"...cancer, heart disease and back pain treatment, most notable.
  • Its often said among medical professionals that the worst screening result for a smoker, a diabetic or an obese patient is a negative scan. The reason is obvious...They won't change.

Maybe your doctor is really saying, "I promise not to ignore your condition. In the meantime, please live as healthy as you possibly can."

Then, again, maybe not...

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center