Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do young people get this?
mhb0510 posted:
I'm a little wary of self-diagnosing, but my mom and mother in law have me a little freaked out.

I'm 22 years old, never been diagnosed with hemmroids or anything. For the past three months or so, I've been having painful bowel movements with rectal bleeding. No blood in my stool, just bright red blood when I wipe. It's sometimes a little, sometimes quite a lot. I have been taking a stool softener every day for the past two months now (started with two a day, now one a day) and I think it helps a little with the pain. Sometimes it still hurts really bad, but I can have at least one every week or so that doesn't hurt too bad. It hurts if I have a bowel movement too close after another (like when you think you're done and you're not) and it also itches a lot all day. I have not tried Preparation H or anything like that because I'm scared it will burn when I put it on.

My mom said even young people can get colon cancer, so I'm making an appointment with my OBGYN, but the nurse I spoke to didn't seem to think much of it, and said it's probably a tear or hemmroid. I guess it just worries me that even with a stool softener it hasn't gotten better. I also spoke to a family friend (a couple months ago when it started) and she said that as long as it's bright red blood, it's not anything too bad because internal bleeding would be darker or brownish. I just don't know what to think at all...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wandalein responded:
I am sure at your age the odds are that it is not this. I hope you had your appointment with the doctor and everything was fine. Stool softners don't work well for everyone. Make sure you are well hydrated, drink lots of water and particularly warm water will help. My husband was diagnoised with rectal cancer and his blood during bowel movements was bright red, I also thought that was good but apparently not. So please do get it checked out at least so you have piece of mind. You also may have a hemeroid that you are not aware of (they don't all hang down) caused by pushing down during constipation. Let me know that you are okay and it is only something minor like a hemeroid.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center