Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colorectal surgery recovery
MimmiSue posted:
My husband is recovering from colorectal surgery 12days ago. He has been in more pain for the last three days. Afraid to eat or walk because of pain. Is this normal?

Take the Poll

Pain following colorectal surgery
  • Normal or abnormal pain
  • What to do to control pain
vote
View Poll Results

cjtigers responded:
I don't know if the pain is "normal", but I experienced horrible pain for at least 8 weeks after my surgery. My surgery was pretty drastic and it left me with a permanent colostomy. My surgeon blamed my pain on the fact that I had gone thru radiation and the skin "down there" was compromised to begin with. I blame the fact that I personally have a very high tolerance for pain meds and my doctor hesitated to prescribe enough to control my pain. I couldn't sit for weeks. I'd have to lie down in the backseat of the car to get to my dr appts. Please advocate for your husband. There are meds out there that will help, you just have to be very assertive. I have so many regrets on how I handled my recovery. I just blindly followed any direction from my doctors without question. I think that lead to a lot of needless suffering on my part. Be strong, it does get better, I promise!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center