Skip to content
Ileostomy reversal
Saisana posted:
I am 49 YO male and new to this forum. I had my colon resection surgery (due to colon polyp) in May 2012 with an ileostomy bag in place. The surgeon removed 12" of my colon from the anus up. From what I understand, my rectum was part of that 12".

I lived with the ileostomy bag from April 30th until the reversal in June 18th. For the reversal, I stayed in the hospital for 6 days to make sure my body took food (liquid first, cream soup, then solid) and pass successfully.

I am recovering at home for 7 days now. I am gaining my strength back and seem to have good appetite. However, the last two days, I frequent bowel movement about 16 times/day. Each time only small amount. Due to my bowel frequency, this causes my bottom to be painfully sore. How can I reduce bowel frequency? I am afraid to eat my normal portion meals that will cause me to move bowel more. So I eat very little. Any suggestion on food that gives me the energy I need but not pass bowel to much?

In addition, since my rectum was removed, and because the rectum is the holding area for stool until the urge to expel, any of my stool (has been small pieces) could not be held indefinitely. Does this mean that I will have to live with this bowel movement frequency? Or will my remaining colon eventually be able to hold stool until I can pass? I am able to squeeze my anus well and hold the coming stool for short time (but not indefinitely) until I get to the toilet.

Any insight or experience that anyone could share would be greatly appreciated.
Sai

Mike__T responded:
I'm a 62yrs male had cancer removed from rectum too. Was on the bag for 18 months. Had the take down a year ago. I'm having the same problems you are the pain gets so bad when doing #2 feel like hinting myself (don't worry to chicken). I wish the bag back. I've tried all the drugs the AD's work the best, but only for a little time.
Good Luck
Let go and Let God
Mike

Saisana replied to Mike__T's response:
Thanks Mike for sharing your experience. What is AD that work best for you?
Since my post, I went to see the dr and he said I had an anal stricture due to it was dormant for the time I had the ileostomy bag. He scheduled me for a anal stricture dilation. A week after the dilation procedure, I was able to pass large amount of stool when I get up in the morning and for the rest of the day, life was good. Life was good for three days then the small stool and more frequent started again.
I still experience two good days follow by one bad day. I take one or two imodium on the bad days and is helping some but I don't want to over-do it and cause constipation.
Dr said even with my rectum gone, what is left of my colon should be able to do the job as before (he was quick to say about 4 months). I am hopeful. He also told me to take fiber supplement. I have been intake metamucil daily.
Thanks for taking the time,
Saisana

christina021 replied to Saisana's response:
had c diff in 2011 while being 3 months pregnant. i woke up from surgery and the drs told me that i had to have an ileostomy i was more than depressed i couldnt talk didnt want to talk. i felt my life was forever pointless i didnt know how i was going to be a mom and manage something i didnt understand. well its been a little over a year now and i have a different output on life. yes this is very hard still and it just sucks but im greatful to be alive because if it wernt for the bag i wouldnt be hear. my question is how did the reversal go for you whoever replies im a young girl in my twenties and just want to go back to my active fun life and have no problems. my dr told me my grip in my rectum is strong and he thinks i will only go like 8 times a day at first maybe even 4 so i would like hearing what you think i am so very very nnervous.

Saisana replied to christina021's response:
Christina,
It will be seven months next week since my reversal. It has been a journey. Before the reversal, changing the bag was a chore, and knowing that something attached to my side was not natural, which didn't help me when I want a good sleep.

After the reversal, it was great that I didn't have to do those two things. However, the stool frequency replaced them. Almost seven months now, I still have good days and bad days. Part of my journey might be that I am getting used to my new routines- like...I need to be aware of where the bathroom is at all times. I carry a pack of flushable wipes with me at all times (the cleaner, the better).
I love the outdoor and my condition has not stopped me from enjoying being out- I just take the bathroom with me.

I am so glad you have a positive outlook on life now.
I assume you still have the bag? Tell us more of your journey since your surgery.
Sai

Helpful Tips

Tip Title
Please, if your husband is having rectal bleeding please get him a colonoscopy asap...My husband was diagnoased just a year ago with no ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center