Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
colon cancer
scratchee posted:
hello, i had colonoscopy done on 6/25/12. 2 small polyps were ok, but a third one that was approx. 16cm near sigmoid colon is about the size of a golf ball according to the docotor. I have went for one appointiment to talk to one surgeon and he said my labs and x rays and ultrasound look ok. His guess is that it may be in stage 1 or 2. I am 57 years old, male. i am scared to death. I have for the last 2 weeks had a sore area like a muscle strain on my lower right side, near where my right arm lays to rest when i am standing. The doctor i went to on my first appt. seemed to not think too much of it. it usually only bothers me while sitting, but not so much when i am standing/walking. it does not seem to bother me when i am laying down. I had been having problems with my bowels for 2+ years and just did not go to the doctor. I am going next week to a doctor in st. louis to get his opinion. the first doctor i went to said it was ok to wait a week or so to get a 2nd opinion due to i have had this for years and he said a few weeks is not going to make a difference. can anyone give me some input on my situation. my first doctor that i went to suggested i go back to work before surgery because he felt i would sit around and worry my self to death with every little ache/pain. any input would be greatly appreciated. one other thing is, the reason i finally went to the doctor to get a colonoscopy was simply due to i was thinking about it, but my symptons have not gotten worse yet. I had been having blood in stool last 2+ years, but not at each bowel movement, and my bowels were usually small bits and pieces. anyway, i would appreciate some input. thank you all.

46Hope responded:
Hello. I was stage two of colon cancer diagnose 2010.
Is good u r looking 4 a second opinion. Make sure they check that sore area, not only listen to them also do research yourself. Blood in the stool last 2 years always see your Dr. If they say u need surgery ask many questions as u can. The polyp about the size of a golf ball do they did a biopsy? Do not be scare, think positive. Wish the best outcome for u.

ElliottinNJ responded:
A 13 year combatant of colon cancer has me dealing with a brain lesion, surgery, radiation and chemo up at bat. As noted do your own research and ask many questions. Remember that the doctors are part of your team and you may have to push them beyond their comfort levels. I'll admit that nothing about my journey has been normal. CEA never indicated anything so you have to push thru what is not normal so they will look.

cjtigers responded:
I urge you to be your own advocate and be very proactive about your treatment. If you feel the dr is not listening to you, seek another opinion or at least a dr who will take your symptoms seriously. This website is a great resource for support and information. I was diagnosed Jan. 2010 and this website was my first step in my research. I immediately started a "discussion" of all my fears, etc... The response I received was great and so helpful. You are not alone and you can beat this cancer! Hang in there!

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center