Skip to content
permanent ileostomy issue
junebugjelly posted:
Just wondering if there is anybody out there with the same problem I am experiencing.

I am a Stage IV rectal cancer survivor. During my surgery in 2005 my sphincter in my rectum was far too damaged to ever have my ileostomy reversed so now I am living with a permanent ileostomy. Which is fine. My issue is this. Though I don't use my colon anymore, it still does produce bodily fluids. As that area healed it has had a tendency to heal over and "close up" and every so often I experience a painful pressure where my rectum is trying to release the accumulated contents. Has anybody else ever experienced this and what have they done about it?

46Hope responded:
I had experience the presure only for me is not painful, my Dr. told me is normal and it could leak fluids from time to time. Ask your Dr. for a cream that might help or a good diet.

junebugjelly replied to 46Hope's response:
I think I have self-diagnosed myself. Since I wasn't really having any discharge because I have had that in the past, I did some research online and discovered there is a condition called a spastic sphincter. I do believe this is what is happening. A little dab of vaseline on the area relieves it. Hope this helps with anybody else experiencing this problem.

realbeachbdoyfitness responded:
Hello June. I lost my colon when I was 40 years old. I had a permanent illeostomy put in 3 months later! They tried to keep my rectal stump in, but developed a horriblle rare colitis, that caused me pure misery and presuure to my rectum and alot of mucus stuff!! Horrible. later The surgeon had to remove my entire rectum, and as painful as it was I was finally free of enemas, and pain and presuure! I am 3 years in to this anniversary!! I did suffer from severe pain because I am allergic to all drugs and medications so I had to do it the hard way with rregular tylenol. I am stong for I have almost died like 6 6 times and have been through 60 surgeries plus and am blessed to have survived this to help others!! take care.I will pray for you to feel better. let me know how you do!!

brunosbud replied to realbeachbdoyfitness's response:
A cat has 9 lives, why can't we? Great post, rbbf...

Lucky you. 6 down but 3 to go.

junebugjelly replied to realbeachbdoyfitness's response:
Thanks realbeachboyfitness. Never realized that the "rectal stump" existed! This site has been a real education for me. Happy you are pain free now and God Bless you.

Helpful Tips

it worked for me!
My husband died 2/3/4 of colon cancer. August 2011 I became vegan on a dare and 2/3 12 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was surprised! ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center