Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scared
LiveHealthy143 posted:
My father was recently diagnosed with colon cancer (2 days ago) and I'm scared of what his survival rate might be. My father was experiencing the symptoms for 9-10 months before he actually went to the doctor. When the doctor did inform my father that he did have colon cancer, he also mentioned that he found a tumor. My father has an appointment on Sun. for a CT scan. The doctor advised my father that if the cancer hasn't spread then they can begin treatment. If it has spread then there is nothing they can really do. I'm scared of what the results might be. I'm trying to keep positive and hopeful but knowing that my father waited so long to see the doctor, I'm not sure of what his chances might be to fight this. I have cried everyday since I found out and it's killing me inside. Does anybody know somebody that has gone through a similar situation in waiting to seek treatment?

msarteaga1965 responded:
LiveHealthy143,
I'm 47, this pass january,I was diagnosed with rectal cancer,stage 2. They got it early and I took 6wks of chemo and redation,then a rest a month and then I had my surgery and the remove all the cancer but the saddest thing is I have to wear a bag for the rest of my life. But the best thing is that I going to live a long time. Just having to deal with a change in my life is wearing a bag and having so much support from my family and friends is the best and I love them so much. I thank the Lord everyday that I have them. I hope that everything turns out ok for you and your family .....

happydanny responded:
I did not wait as long as your father, the real symptom occured about a month when I decided that it wasn't the normal thing, so I went and got a colonoscopy exam and was diagnosed with ractal cancer with a tumor. I went through radiation and chemo for six weeks and the doctor said even if it was a T4 which is last stage and the cancer has spread to other part of the body depend on where, there are chances that they will do chemo first and may be more complicated than when it is more local. The technology is so advance these days, your doctor will work hard to help your dad I am sure and certainly pray changes things.

Prayersformydad replied to happydanny's response:
Just checking to see how yur dad is. My dad was just diagnosed this Tuesday and we go to the oncologist Monday. What's the update on yur dad?

Prayersformydad responded:
What's the newest update on yur dad? My father was just diagnosed Tuesday and we go to the oncologist Monday.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center