Skip to content
Father diagnosed with colon cancer in feb.
Fraser03 posted:
My father was diagnosed with colon cancer back in Feb of this year. He just told me about it tonight! No one else knows. He doesn't want anyone to know. He went through chemo all summer and was told that the drs didn't find any more cancer in him. But I have a problem with not telling my mother, my brother, and my sister or anyone else. If I don't say anything to anyone, I'm going to feel guilty if something does happen and I didn't say anything to anyone because he didn't want me to. I don't know what to do? Anyone else in this situation? I'm not sure what stage of cancer it was or anything. He has to go back yearly for checkups. He said the chemo did make him sick but he didn't lose any of his hair. and the doctor told him that because his hair didn't fall out that the chemo was going where it needed to go. Is this true?

nnnjoe7 responded:
Why can't it be disclosed? Wasn't there any tumor? I had a tumor which filled almost half my colon. It was removed surgically and the colon was shortened by half. Thereafter went through 5 cycles of chemo. Left with after effects like numbness beneath my feet. People say the outlook is good. But one can't say when it will recur. It all depends on the stage of the cancer. If your father only had chemo, there may not have been any large tumor.

junebugjelly responded:
Yes, you would need to know what stage the colon cancer was. Sounds as if it might have been Stage I. I am a little surprised that he didn't have to have any surgery before or after the chemo to remove any cancerous tumors but then again it might not have been necessary.

And yes, the chemo that they give for colon cancer does not make you lose your hair. It does thin out but you do not lose it.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center