Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Coping with a family member diagnosed with rectal cancer
APrice1970 posted:
Hello, my mother was diagnosed with rectal cancer in july of this year(2012). She has done 6 weeks of radiation and is currently doing chemo. I really don't know what to expect from day to day. I am really tired because i'm always worried about her. She lives with me right now so i get to see what she goes through first hand. It is a very rough road but i am trying my best to stay strong for her. Any advice? I have siblings but one is not able to help right now. The other seems to be afraid and just leaves the load on me. I love my mother but this gets so hard some days and i just don't feel i have the strength to do this, but i also know that if i don't care for her then she will be going t6hrough this alone. I have 2 younger children in the home as well and this ordeal is taking a toll on them too. My husband is by my side but there are days when i can tell that he is frustrated as well. What can i do to make this journey smoother for everyone?

46Hope responded:
Yes it is hard but you r doing the best u can, talk to the sibling that is afraid to give u a hand is fair also u need time for yourself, can u hire someone for cleaning the house, do laundry... u can not do everything, u need to be calm and have a head on your shoulder to deal with mom and the Doctors.Look for strength inside u, have u ask help from a friend? or cancer organizations that might help u out? have play time with the little ones or send them to play to a relative house or a good friend. This is a big load for only u. Is important to be sane, try to go out with your husband the poor guy do not forget about him and make time for yourself.
Good luck.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center