Skip to content
Survivor Issues
cjtigers posted:
I am a 2 year survivor of stage 2 rectal cancer. I went through some tough treatments and a surgery that left me with a permanent colostomy at the age of 47. Needless to say, I went through some major depression dealing with a new body image and the trauma of all of the treatments. I am proud to be a survivor and am still active in support groups and networking with other cancer buddies as I like to call them. The glitch... I've noticed I do not handle stress in the same way as I did pre-cancer. It hits me a lot harder and takes on physical manifstations... racing heart, racing thoughts, etc. I notice I am relying on my xanax a lot more. Is this normal or is it just me?

46Hope responded:
Dear survivor Issues: I was diagnose on July 2010, got chemiotherapy, radiation and surgery, they reconected me in 2011 but on Feb. 2012 cancer came back was sad but went right to fight back again end up with ppermanent colostomy bag, I am going to be 47 on Sep. 26. Also have issues with my left kidney had nephrostomy twice!! myn urologyst says with a procedure schedule 4 sep. 27 I will be ok. U r taking xanax , good but remember to have a positive attitude is not easy, praying has help me a lot, stress is not good for us,take one day at a time, try to enjoy life, the family, friends, co-workers.... we r alive !! Be call put your trust in God. Take care.

cjtigers replied to 46Hope's response:
Thanks for the encouraging words. I used to be able to "pray" or meditate" my stress away, but these days it's getting a lot harder. I hate that I'm turning towards the xanax to get me through it. It makes me feel like I am mentally weak that I need it. I used to be the "suck it up" kind of person, I just can't seem to do that anymore.

46Hope replied to cjtigers's response:
It is not mentally weak, probably our faith needs to grow, work on it, Is not easy but do not give up, if we have walked this far oour Lord wants us here so we can do good deeds for his glory. Some days I cry but have to manage to keep going. You r strong, u can do it, please pray for me, I am having surgery on Thursday. Be positive. God bless yoou and your family.

cjtigers replied to 46Hope's response:
I think the stress and anxiety of a cancer dx is pretty much a given. In one way or another it's going to change you; the way you view life, the way you make peace with it, etc...I know I appreciate the little things so much more and I can savor the good things in life. But I think that same ability also makes us more sensitive to the negative too.
I will be thinking good thoughts for you this Thursday. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center