Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I do this.
Harleygirl posted:
My husband was diagnosed in Jan 2012 (height 6'2", weighing 198- was 212 in Nov 2011) with CRC stage III and the next day with separate cancer of stage II kidney cancer (7.0 mass). In Feb they removed his left kidney and some lymph nodes and successfully removed all the kidney cancer. A week later he started radiation and low dose chemo for the 6.0 rectal cancer in hopes to shrink it some. The first week of May he had a Pet Scan and we were informed it had metastasized to one lobe of the liver liver (three spots) Now at stage IV CRC.

Second week of May he had surgery to remove his rectum, bladder and prostate and maybe the masses in the liver. When they opened his liver there were six masses consisting of both lobes. They closed the liver back up without removing the masses and performed the rest of the scheduled surgery. He now has a urostomy and colon bag (permanent) weight at 161.

He took the summer to recover from all of this. Spent time with kids and grandchild in Florida, rode his Harley for one short trip and was getting stronger.

In Mid-August he stared his 1st of 12 sessions of chemo weighing in at 169. Yesterday started session 4 and he weighed in at 150, low blood pressure reading, but he has not lost any hair. He has now slept for 15 1/2 hours, weak, hurts to sit with no muscle mass on rump, can only stand for 2 minutes and walking is limited for he is so weak.

I cannot even begin to tell you what I have gone through watching my biker husband go through this. My sister is the only person I will vent to for fair of being attacked or judged by his family. I'm scared, lonely, angry and depressed and I don't know how to fix what is attacking my husband. My job has been the fixer of the issues and I cannot fix this.

Thank you for having a sight like this.

hglanvu responded:
I know your feeling and I understand what you are going through. It's so painful to see our family member suffering cancer, see them losing the energy, weigh, hope and suffering from pain.
I have lost my grandpa and my cousin who died of cancer nearly 2 months after diagnosed. My uncle and my mom are having colon cancer. I just consider it enemy of my life. It's taking away many important people of my life.

46Hope responded:
Dear Harleygirl: I was 47 when diagnosed colon cancer 2010, since then I had 6 surgeries, now have a permanent colostomy bag, is not easy, last surgery was Sep. 27 2012. Do not be scared, try to go out when u can with friends, I to was angry for some time , had to hold on my faith a lot!!!!! to be sane you need to take care of yourself, I was depressed too, think positive, you have to be strong for him, u r doing the best u can, do not be hard on yourself, you can do it, you have a strong spirit, you guys will overcome this just keep on fighting.
I will pray for all of us .

TomHW008 replied to 46Hope's response:
Hi 48Hope,
Thanks for your post. My mom has just been diagnosed with colon cancer and I am scared for her since I would do anything to prevent her from suffering! I think your advice is very good and I will try to follow it and try to not to drink too much to calm myself - and I don't have a problem with alcohol. I have been fighting the depression and have been successful so far, but it is early in the fight. I have and will be strong for my mom and I will take one day at a time. I just wanted to say thank you for your post. Take care and I will pray for you and Harleygirl. Take care.
Tom

46Hope replied to TomHW008's response:
Dear TomHWOO8: Sorry to hear about your mom, what we can do for our relatives when going through this is be there for them and let them feel the love and positive thoughts always.
Put everything in God hands, your mom will get better, keep doing your best.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center