Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question
Questionmark posted:
Went to doctor complaining about stomach problems about a month ago. I've had stomach issues my whole life. Doctor diagnosed IBS. I am currently under a lot of pressure. Work etc. About two months ago stomach issues were really bad. Diahrea (sp?) sometimes for four or more days during week. Doctor gave me anti spasmatic drug. Do not know the exact name of drug. Stomach is better but not perfect. He also gave me a stool kit. Nurse called on Friday and said doctor wants to schedule a colonoscopy because he found blood in stool. It is occult because I do not see any when I go to the bathroom. I am 44 years old. Immediately my stomach went haywire upon hearing the news. Finally calmed down yesterday. Very suspicious that stress is causing stomach issues. I am thinking about asking for another stool test next. Colonoscopy is not my first option but will do what I have to do to be healthy. Can someone weigh in on their thoughts?

junebugjelly responded:
You definitely should have a colonoscopy just to make sure you don't have any problems there. May be nothing. But stool samples don't always show the cause of bleeding. Before I was diagnosed with Stage IV rectal cancer I had stool samples and they found no blood. It was only with the colonoscopy that they found the rectal tumor. Do not fear the colonoscopy. It is a life saving diagnostic test. If he doesn't find anything then he can explore what is causing your stomach problems. The worst part is the prep and that really isn't that bad.

46Hope responded:
It is true the worst part of colonoscopy is the prep. go with confidence u r doing the rigth thing is important to be safe, you will be fine, have positive thoughts.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center