Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thin stools after colorectal surgery
jtu248 posted:
Hello,
It has been over 2 months since I had my reversal and over 7 months since my LAR (removing a portion of the rectum) surgery was done but I still continue to have thin pencil like or even flat ribbon like stools.
My CEA and physical exams have been coming out normal.
I am really worried and was wondering if someone could offer their opinions on this.
Jack

ike1954 responded:
If you had a resection - the site of the re-connection may
napkin ring the bowels - squeeze it like a napking in one
of the fancy rings. I have this still after 2 years. It is verrryyyy sslowly getting a tad better..My doc said "More fiber" - well when you have to be on your feet at a security check point for
8 hours a day - "more fiber" just does not comnpute.. My surgeon did a flex-syg scope and actually showed me the stricture on a tv sreen.
ike
Good luck

46Hope responded:
Hello jtu248: I had that problem after my resection, I complained 2 my gastroenterologist she advised do a blow-up oof air in the intestines but had to do it several times on intervals of weeks. That is a possibility if really bother you, talk to your Dr. when can be done have to wait some time after surgery I think, I never did it. I hope this help. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center