Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breath Test May Detect Colon Cancer
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
In Italy, researchers were able to identify patients with colorectal cancer with an accuracy of over 75% by analyzing samples of their breath.

Breath Test May Detect Colon Cancer

Pulmonologist, Peter Mazzone, MD, says the breath functions in the body in much the same way that the exhause system functions in a car, and what comes out gives a sense of how things are working inside. Similar research is under way to develop tests for lung, breast, prostate, and other cancers.

After reading the article come back to share your thoughts about this new testing. Do you think it will reduce the need for a screening colonoscopy?

Elizabeth

brunosbud responded:
I've been a regular reader of these forums and the one outstanding impression I've observed is the level of denial Americans have of their health. It is so ridiculously high because of lack of education, laziness and the "subjectivity" of health, today. Everybody, here, eats "healthy" and everybody leads an "active" life (yet, almost all are overweight and taking Cholesterol and BP meds). Thus, it's impossible to relate to what their blood report is telling them.

My theory why this is so is because lifestyle diseases take years, even decades, to develop and during this lengthy gestation period you're likely to feel "fine". Thus, when a doctor declares your fasting blood glucose reads over 125 or the biopsy comes back positive or your coronary arteries are blocked 90%, the first response is, "Aw, you're crazy! I feel fine!" Of course they do! Who can tell the difference between a systolic pressure of 150 vs a normal 120?

We need smartphones that can read out blood pressure, instantaneously. We need toilets that can analyze for diabetes and triglycerides every time you take a crap. We need surgically implanted pedometers that will tell you to get off your a$^ and move if you don't take enough steps at intervals throughout the day.

And, of course, we desperately need breathalyzer tools that can detect colon and other cancers.

SAKZN replied to brunosbud's response:
Hi

My thoughts ....

I am not an American I am a white, corporate career South African woman. At age 45, weighing in at 58kg, 1.67m tall, when I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I use to run every day, did yoga three times a week and went mountain biking over weekends. I donated blood to our blood banks religiously and therefore knew my stats at all times. I do not smoke, drink occasionally, and dislike chocolate, fizzy drinks and junk food.

Therefore I find your comment/finger pointing ignorant and quiet rude ... the person does not necessarily choose the disease but rather the disease chooses the victim.

I do agree with you that ignorance of not truly knowing and appreciating ones body is an injustice to the universe itself. It is every human beings duty to look after their body and the environment that houses and provides for their body with love and respect.

I am assuming you too are a colon cancer sufferer ??

brunosbud replied to SAKZN's response:
I'm sorry you feel this way about me. I'm glad we can agree on some things, too. Just the same, "I" am not the issue.
The discussion solicits thoughts regarding this new technology and will it effect present methods of screening.

I believe faster and more accessible colon cancer screening methods are important for all Americans. I believe a breathalyzer tool could potentially save many lives in this country.

You speak of "finger pointing", but...

It's been 3 weeks...Did you have "anything" to contribute about the topic, at hand?

An_250543 responded:
I think they may be on to something, my husband has had a problem with his breath for as long as I have known him. We thought it was a dental problem and tried all kinds of toothpastes and mouth washes, not to mention breath mints and sprays. Last year he was diagnosed with Colon Rectal Cancer and had to have a Colostomy, sure enough after the surgery and coming home I noticed instantly that he no longer had the breath issues. So I'm a firm believer that had we known 12yrs ago that unpleasant breath could mean stomach/colon problems we probably could have avoided him having to have a Colostomy.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center