Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hubby diagnosed with Rectal Ca
Magsjeanea posted:
My hubby was just diagnosed with a 2.5 cm rectal ca. on Dec 4th. We have seen the surgeon, radiation and medical oncologists yesterday. He will start on radiation and Xeloda on Jan. 3rd. Then he will have an 8 week hiatus followed by the removal of his rectum and sigmoid colon and given a temp. ileostomy. Once his 'bottom' is healed, the will reverse his ostomy and he will have 4months of Xeloda.

My question is: after surgery, how long has it taken for patients to heal to be able to go back to work? How long does it take to get used to having an ileostomy?

I know there might not be any definite answers but I would love to hear of everyone's experiences.

I am really desperate to know, as I am on disability and he is the bread winner and we need him to be able to work. He had a pretty easy job with no strenuous work, he just drives a boat.

Thanks for all of your help. I guess I am just scared at the outcome of surgery.

Thanks all!

SAKZN responded:
Hi Magsjeanea, I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 2010, had rectum and sigmoid colon removed but colon re-attachment to anus was possible. The recovery from surgery was easy, and took about 2 weeks to feel like myself.

4 wks after surgery I started daily chemo and radiation session for 30 days, by week 2 I was bed ridden and trying to cope with lethargy, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

Once the radiation treatment stopped I had chemo sessions one day a week for 4 weeks, again I responded badly to new treatment and ended up in hospital more than once.

I am a single mom with two dependents, and I too was stressed about job security and income and was extremely concerned about the future of my family.

I am not sure if the above helps you but please do not try plan and control too much of what could/might happen as each person is unique and their reaction to their treatment is unique.
My lesson was to sit back embrace the treatment, accept the weakness's that come with it and just focus on getting through it. My support during this difficult period came from friends, family and strangers which allowed me to stop stressing about things not going according to the plan.
I would recommend you husband looks at what he can start taking before he starts treatment like folic acid for mouth ulcers, SOLAL - Glutamine for radiation theropy and so on.
Wishing you and your husband all the best during his treatment.
Regards

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center