Skip to content
Colon Cancer Caretaker
Laxsmi posted:
My husband passed away 3 years ago from Stage 4 metatstatic colon cancer. We endured the 3 long years of Xeloda and he couldn't wait for the time off chemo. He also had the port put in for ease of administering chemo and other drugs. He found that if given 10mg of Valium introveniously while in the chemo chair (before they start), it made the experience less awful and he didn't feel as much nausea and vomiting afterwards.

He also swore by being on Prozac or an antidepressant during this whole ordeal. It made it much less intollerable. He wanted to die 3000 miles from our home - I took time off work and drove him back east. He was admitted to a Hospice hospital there and they were switching his pain meds from morphine & dilauded over to methadone. He did well for 2 days and then went into a coma - I wish he was here - I thought we had more time. I didn't get to say the things I wanted to say. I still miss him everyday and our kids do too.
If he were here to talk to all the men sufferig from colon cancer he would tell them to make the time for a colonscopy. Don't cancel that doctor appointment - just do it!

He was 54. He never saw our son graduate from college just a few months later.

Helpful Tips

it worked for me!
My husband died 2/3/4 of colon cancer. August 2011 I became vegan on a dare and 2/3 12 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was surprised! ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center