Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stage 4 cancer
An_252107 posted:
My father has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He isn't big on explaining alot of it to me. First he said he had a rectal tumor but now he calls it a rectal ulcer... the docs decided to wait two months to start chemo. I am looking for information so I can prepare for what is going on and how I can help him. Any information is helpfull and appreciated, thank you!
Christine

georgiagail responded:
Chemotherapy would not be used on a rectal ulcer.

Gail

sparkyloveschris replied to georgiagail's response:
I figured he is bsing me! So stage 4 in that general region... what are his odds?

junebugjelly replied to sparkyloveschris's response:
I am a 61 year old woman, Stage IV cancer survivor (November 2004). If it is Stage IV he will need to go through some more testing to see where the cancer has spread to in his body (usually the liver and lungs). The part about the doctors wanting to wait two months to begin chemo has me puzzled. They tested and scanned me a couple of times and found that the cancer had traveled to one lobe of my liver, later they found it in the middle lobe of my lung. I went through radiation and chemo right off the bat to shrink the cancer, then surgery and more chemo. He will need assistance during the radiation and chemo treatments and after surgery.
If I were you I would offer to go to the doctor with him the next time so you can take notes and help think for him because when you get diagnosed with cancer your mind doesn't function very well. Most doctors encourage family members or close friends to be there. Hope this helps.

sparkyloveschris replied to junebugjelly's response:
Thank You Junebugjelly! I am in Oregon and he is in California. I am heading down there at the end of this month to stay as long as I can and will be going to the doctor with him throughout this process. I just needed some base information and hearing from a survivor helps alot with confirming everything I have learned so far that he isn't comfortable telling me at this time. He actually told me that he had started chemo almost two months ago and then changed his story to he wasn't starting till June so I am not exactly sure what is really happening at the moment. He did say they told him that if the chemo didn't work he had 6 months to 2 years to live. So I am guessing I will pretty much have to hope he makes it until I can get down there and see what is going on! Thank you for all the information!

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center