Skip to content
Recovering from colon resection and scared
nptjen posted:
Hi. I'm new here. 40 yr old female. Just had colon resection, hysterectomy, appendectomy and an ovary removed. I was in the hospital for four days. I'm home and feeling ok. Worried though because I passed blood (small clots) a few times and since then have not passed gas or stool. Is this normal? I am eating, walking and staying out of bed. So afraid of something going wrong. That surgery was rough. I am thankful for any thoughts.

georgiagail responded:
Yes, it's pretty normal not to pass gas or stool for a while after this type of surgery. Likely you were pretty cleaned out from "stem to stern" GI tract wise so to speak before this. In addition, I'm going to guess you might be on a softer diet right now which would be lower in fiber so there's not a lot left to form either gas or stool.

In the past it's taken my own body about a week or two to begin to return to its normal pattern after all of this.

Gail

Bear880 responded:
Dear nptjen,

Wow, you must have had a challenging recovery from surgery. I have had rectal cancer, but had an illiostomy so I cannot comment on your clots directly, except from my experience. I had a black clot out of my rectum and called the dr and he said that is normal. with your other symptoms, I would call your doctor. You probably already have.

Thanks for posting . . .we all need support i know I do - at least.

God bless,

Bear880

Helpful Tips

it worked for me!
My husband died 2/3/4 of colon cancer. August 2011 I became vegan on a dare and 2/3 12 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was surprised! ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center