Skip to content
My guts just don't work properly
An_252565 posted:
I'm 13 years post colon cancer surgery. I had additional surgery in 2010 to fix a tight kink I had in the small bowel. I just can't seem to regulate my bowels. I have "irregulatiry" issues more than anything. I just feel horrible after a few days of not being able to go. I take a pro-biotic and miralax - it'll work for a while and then stops.
Does anyone have any diet/solutions - something that has worked for them they would like to share?

bentexas responded:
Have you talked about this with your doctor and has he/she discussed a high fiber diet and/or Metamucil? Like you, I have had a problem getting regular, but it is additionally a problem with no longer having a rectum (which was removed and replaced with a portion of the colon). My body no longer gets the same signals which it
normally gets from an intact rectum. When I DO get a signal to go to the bathroom, there better not be anything between me and the bathroom.
It's not perfect, but - to me - it's better than sporting an ostomy bag.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center