Skip to content
newly diagnosed
nanasgoingtobeatthis posted:
Next Friday, I am having my whole colon removed. The surgeon will try to connect it to my rectum if he can. If not, a bag. Liver is clear, we don't know yet about the lymph nodes My father died of this at 43, brother at 33 and three cousins between 35 and 50. I had a resection 12 years ago and thought I had beat it. I am a 61 year old female and jus had 2 back surgeries in the past year. I also just retired from teaching. This wasn't what I envisioned. The cancer I have now is classified as stage 2A. Obviously I am frightened. I am trying to reach out to any resource can find. Right now I just want to sit and stare. Any support would be appreciated.

annajen responded:
From one Nana to another Nana.....I hope your surgery went well...it is difficult finding any support groups out there to know what others have experienced. I am the same age as you and was basically slammed with a similar diagnosis, had about 12 inches of my colon removed and am now on preventative chemo. I am fortunate 'they got it all' during surgery. I had never had surgery before in my life and was also scared to death. Fear of the unknown. You must have strong FAITH and know that our good Lord will watch over you and heal you. This is what has gotten me though all this so far, along with family and friends. I've changed my diet, exercising and try to live life to the fullest each and every day. I seem to be tolerating the chemo quite well with minimal side effects. I would love hearing back from you about your surgery and your recovery.

nanasgoingtobeatthis replied to annajen's response:
I can't thank you enough for your encouragement. Surgery was difficult. Developed an infection which is now clearing. I am sorry you have to go through chemo. They were able to get everything on me, so I don't need chemo. We have a wonderful place here called Living Well Cancer Center that is giving me great support. They offer all kinds of services for free. You are so right about family and friends. When I got home my friends had shampooed all my carpets! Yesterday, my twin granddaughters were over and kept patting my tummy saying "All better?" What are you able to eat? Part of my depression is that I was a yoga teacher, good nutrition and helped others. It's hard to realize I've come to this.

Helpful Tips

Colonscopy Prep -- Worked Great
I had a really good experience with my colonoscopy and wanted to advise folks. The day before the procedure only drink clear liquids, ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center