Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post rectal cancer surgery
Toriall posted:
2 weeks ago I underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in my rectum. The surgery went very well but now when I pass gas I keep having a small bowel movement at the same time. This is very embarrassing and just wondered if anyone else went through the same problem.

ike1954 responded:
I had a portion of my rectum removed and have had similar problems. I also had the experience of REALLY having to go NOW and then having such a small bowel movement that I was amazed. This happening very often thru the day. None of this is very conducive to a public job. I have been able to work by taking a couple of Imodium tablets on days I will be in the public view. Weekends I do not take any and that is the time to kinda empty out. The Imodium holds the gas ans movements way down and lets me out of the house a whole lot easier. No offense to those with ostomy bags but I figure the pills are a tad bit easier.

G'luck
ike

nanasgoingtobeatthis responded:
HI Toriall, Had my whole colon removed from cancer 5 weeks ago and am still doing the same thing. I have learned to realize that I'm never going to "just" pass gas. This whole bowel thing is so embarrassing, but better then cancer

sam1985 replied to nanasgoingtobeatthis's response:
If the cancer is found on the inside surface of the rectum and has not spread into the wall of the rectum, the cancer and a small amount of surrounding healthy tissue is removed.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center