Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mom's metastatic colon cancer
jenrivela posted:
Hello....my mom was diagnosed in 2010 with colorectal cancer and has an iliostomy. Has been treated with chemotherapy every 2 weeks ever since. It first metastasized to ovary in which she had a hysterectomy. she also has some small nodules in lungs which seem to have been stable. But now she has developed metastasis to her urethra so is only working with one kidney. The urologist says he cannot do anything with this as might be too much for her to go in and try to remove since might need a stoma/bag for urine which can cause infection. But my concern is they have not even told us the size of this tumor and her oncologist does not feel radiation way to go..Might cause her to be incontinent which at this point, my mom is not worried about. We are going for a second opinion next week but I was just wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this or knows someone who has and what course of treatment or actions they have taken.
Thank you so much for any help!!!

bbbaaammm responded:
I have never dealt with anything like that, but glad you are going for a second opinion. It looks like something could be done for her. I dont know where you live, but if you could go to Mayo Clinic, Cancer Centers of America or John's Hopkins Hospital, that would be good..... even Tijuana Mexico (Biomedical Center).
Let us know how things turn out.

Do you know your Mom's CEA count? Mine is up and Im really worried about it.

Barb

ann1178 responded:
I have stage 4 colorectal cancer methasis, diagnosed in May of 2011. I had 12 treatments of aggressive chemo I was in remission for about 18 months when ct scan of pain of left side showed new growth pushing onto my uretha, blocking urine flow. A stint was inserted in uretha. but I had so much pain with it it was removed and an outer stint with bag to catch urine was done. I was told it could be reversed and robotic surgery could remove blockage, however in surgery they found it was cancer and nothing could be done and stint was put back in.I am now on my last of second round of chemotherapy and stiill suffering from constant infections from stint and was told all that can be done is to have the stint replaced every few months..I am 78. I have to take pill xeloda for cancer, but not sure if I can tolerate it along with problems with stint..any hope for me please let me know

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center