Skip to content
27 year old with symptoms and concerns...
tardarsauce posted:
Hello guys. I am a 27 year old guy who has been experiencing odd changes in bowel movements for the last 6-8 months. Everytime I have to go, it feels like something is "in the way". I don't have bloody stools and it is not painful, it just feels like something is protruding into the path and partially blocking the flow of when I'm trying to go. I tried using stool softeners, but they are just a temporary alleviation of the symptoms. Are there any other false-positives that these symptoms could point to other than colon cancer? What is your guys' experience leading up to the point where you were diagnosed? What information helps to have so your doctor can make the most accurate diagnosis?

I am going to see my doctor ASAP to begin the steps of diagnosis, with or without medical coverage. My family history has skin cancer, colon cancer, and ovarian cancer, and I had a biopsy done on a mole about 3 years ago. Any info, experience, and insights would be helpful and appreciated.

Take the Poll

How long did you wait while experiencing odd bowel symptoms, before getting a diagnosis done?
  • Within 1 week
  • 1 Month
  • 3-6 Months
  • 1 Year
  • 2 Years
vote
View Poll Results

atti_editor responded:
Hi tardarsauce,

Have you had a chance to get in to see your doctor yet? I think that it is great that you are being proactive in making an appointment about this. Abnormal bowel movements can be a result of a number of different things, and your doctor is definitely the best person to figure out what is going on, and to determine what if any treatment is necessary. You might want to take a looks around our Colorectal Cancer Health Center -- it has information on symptoms, the diagnosis process and information you may want to have ready for your first visit with your doctor.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Atti

tardarsauce replied to atti_editor's response:
I saw my PCP, and the blockage was diagnosed as hemorrhoids, and a pilonidal cyst, about 2.5 square centimeters in size, was found as well. Now that colorectal cancer seems to be off the table, my attention is more on the cyst, due to the risk of infection and the nasty recovery process they entail. I want to either find a way to reduce the cyst in size to the point it is gone, or if I really must, have it removed. Yuck..

Would it be worth getting a Carcinoembryonic Antigen test done, just in case? As I understand, you always have some carcinogenic cells in your body, kept in check by your immune system, and a high count of CEA means something bad is not in check. I'm curious where my body is at, as a low count would confirm cancer is not a problem at this time, and many forms of cancer are undetectable until its too late...

georgiagail replied to tardarsauce's response:
A Pilondial cyst has nothing to do with cancer:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/pilondial-cyst

Gail

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center