Skip to content
dreaded colonoscopy
An_256882 posted:
I'm due for one in May and I dread it so much I don't think I will be able to go through with it. This is my 3rd in as many years. They say I have to have it, I've had distressing symptoms, adenoma removed last year, my mom & her mom died of it. But still, every year seems way too excessive. I'm worried that they are looking for something far worse than a polyp and if they find it, I just don't have the means to handle a problem like that. I'm single and my family of origin was dysfunctional and has long since unraveled. I would not last 2 minutes.
I cannot take the liquid prep as it does not work for me and does a poor job of cleaning. I cannot take the pills because of my blood pressure medication, which might cause kidney failure. But this year we will try the pills if I can stop my bp meds a week in advance. I wonder if that's wise, facing a situation I find so distressing. One of my friends had a massive stroke last week. That would be another situation I don't have the means to handle.
I'm having panic attacks, hardly sleep at all, and find myself going what-if every minute. People tell me colonoscopy saved their lives, but I'm saying, it's destroying mine. I have till May 6th to back out and I probably will. If I have to go through this every year for the rest of my life, that's no life at all.

georgiagail responded:
Ask your physician if they can prescribe meds for your panic attacks.

I've had seven colonoscopies and granted, the prep isn't the most fun but I also work in the medical field with cancer patients and this procedure is NOTHING compared to dying from colon cancer. Last year I "donated" a foot of my colon to my local hospital for a stubborn polyp that couldn't be removed via a colonoscopy. Would I agree to have more colon removed versus developing colon cancer? In a skinny minute.

Gail

grannytracy responded:
ask about moviprep it is suppose to be tolerated better and I believe there is less of it.

bluelynx replied to grannytracy's response:
I did moviprep last year. It sat in my stomach for 9 hours, doing absolutely nothing. Then it did very little. Then I could not take the 2nd dose because the first one made swallowing it impossible. Supraprep is just as bad. I just can't get the liquid preps to work.

Helpful Tips

it worked for me!
My husband died 2/3/4 of colon cancer. August 2011 I became vegan on a dare and 2/3 12 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was surprised! ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center