Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Methotrexate for ectopic
KristiK77 posted:
Hi, everyone. I'm hoping someone who has had methotrexate to end an ectopic pregnancy can tell me how long it took them for it to work and what symptoms they had that it was working. I had the injection 2 days ago but was told my case was very different from most ectopics so wasn't sure what to expect with the injection. They never could completely confirm an ectopic on ultrasound but am 8 weeks and never showed signs of viable pregnancy on ultrasound and hCG levels never doubled and never got above 797. Over a week ago, I had heavy bleeding and HUGE blood clots and was told I was miscarrying but hCG still kept rising, so I'm not sure if I should still expect bleeding again or pain, etcetera. Also, how long after the methotrexate were you able to conceive?

alapell responded:
Hello,
I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm in the same situation as you do as well as far as unconfirmed ectopic. I found out almost a month ago.

My body did not respond well to the Methotrexate. I had to have two rounds of it. It all depends on your body. The only way that you can tell it working is by your hCG level. Your hcg level should go down by 15% each week. You may bleed again and have heavy cramping at least that's how it was for me.

My doctor told me that you should wait until you have at least two normal periods. Make sure that you're emotionally ready as well. This can be a long process.

If you have anymore questions let me know. Find out if there is a nurse line that you can call. Your provider should be in contact with you during this whole process.

An_243512 replied to alapell's response:
Thanks guys, this really helps. I just had my first round of Methotrexate. I was 6 weeks along and this is my 3rd pregnancy. The first 2 was miscarriages and now this one had to be terminated. So it has been so hard on me emotionally and physically. This forum is so informative and I wish everyone good health and healthy pregnancies. Thanks again

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mother to a wonderful daughter and am excited to begin my adventure as a moderator with WebMD. I have past experience as a medical tran...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.