Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    What to do???
    tiffanymcbee1215 posted:
    I found out I was pregnant on Dec. 28th however, when I went for our first ultrasound they found two gestational sacs. One was measuring 8 weeks and the other only 4 we went back a few days ago only to find that both of the sacs were smaller and no fetal poles were found. I was kinda in shock and my dr. has me coming back to talk on friday. He told me there were three options for me to consider 1. Was having a d &c, 2. Was miscarrying naturally, or 3. he could give me meds to speed up the natural miscarriage. I'm just soo "on the fence" on this decision I want it to happen naturally but I don't know if I'm mentally or physically prepared for the outcome. Suggestions please???
    An_241467 responded:
    At 8 weeks you should be able to see the embryo, not just the sac and pole. At 4 weeks you are around 2 weeks after fertilization and there sound only be the sac with blastocysts. If your Dr advised you that you measured 8 weeks with one fetus but nothing located in the sac, I would get a second opinion from another practice. Both for peace of mind and science. Request your file from the first office and take it with you to the 2nd opinion. Worst case scenario is the Dr was correct and the pregnancy was terminated or information was overlooked or read incorrectly. I wish the best for you and your situation.May the results be what is best for you.
    alaska_mommy responded:
    Doctors can be wrong, but even if he's right I personally would prefer to miscarry naturally. That's what I did when they told me no heartbeat at 7 weeks. That way I knew there would be no guilt later or the feeling that I possibly killed my baby. But not everyone can stand the waiting game that ensues. You can always try it naturally and if you just can't handle it then get the medication or D&C. Don't feel bad for choosing that route, it gives you the closure you need to know it's done and you can grieve the loss of your babies.
    I agree with PP about getting a second opinion, or even just a second ultrasound. Make double sure before you decide.
    tiffanymcbee1215 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
    Thanks everyone but we went in for another u/s and still no babies in either sac and they are measuring smaller than in the weeks before. I'm scheduled for a d&c on wednesday.
    blueeyebaby responded:
    When I found out I was pregnant back in november of 2007, I had a single spot of blood one time when I went to the bathroom. The doctor wanted me to come in for an u/s just to make sure since I had some trouble getting pregnant. I was around 7 weeks along. The sac was behind and there was no heart beat. We decided to come back in a week to make sure we didn't have our dates wrong and I wasn't as far along as we thought. We did b/w at the first appointment and again at the one the following week to see where my HCG number was. At the second appt there was still no heartbeat or progression and so she suggested a D&C. The b/w confirmed that they should have seen more the first u/s for where the numbers were and it was dropping by the second appt to again confirm the m/c. The reason she wanted a D&C was that in some cases, an embryo can change and turn against the mother. It wouldn't go cancerous but something on that line that can cause long term issues for me with medication and treatment needed and not being able to ttc for at least the year need for treatment. It is more rare but under the circumstances she wanted to be sure that wasn't going to be the case. Also she could test just to see if there was a reason for the m/c. I am not suggesting that this is the way to go with the D&C but I know for me that was the best to know for sure everything was ok. The tissue was normal (which was good and bad since we had no explanation as to why). The procedure was quick and it was more just like a heavier AF after the procedure with a few days of some cramping for me. I sturuggled a bit after the procedure when I woke up in recovery with the realization that our baby was gone but my DH and my parents were there to support us and that really helped. We also needed to wait three months before trying again to conceive again not only physically but also emontionally. I had another m/c the following February (first cycle after our first m/c) although this one was nearly immediate. My b/w at 4 weeks was low and two days later the HCG had barely raised. We did b/w two days later and it was already going down. Few days later AF started. Again maybe slightly heavier than a normal AF. In the second m/c it was so early that most people may just think they had a late AF versus me who was testing like crazy so we didn't need to wait to continue ttc. Both m/c made me so nervous about not only getting pregnant but also once I got pregnant again, if I could keep it. We were very blessed to have two full term pregnancies following my m/c and two beautiful children. I still struggle with the m/c and worry now that we are ttc again. I will keep you in prayer tomorrow and we are here for you!!
    alaska_mommy replied to tiffanymcbee1215's response:
    How are you doing following the D&C? My thoughts are with you...
    tiffanymcbee1215 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
    I had the d &c done on wednesday the 15th and I'm not in any pain just some soreness and I hardly bled at all. I know that's what would be healthier for me and my future babies in the long run. It's still a lil rough for me to deal with the thought of my babies being gone and as crazy as it may sound I'm still trying to deal with the fact that I'm not pregnant anymore. Me and my husband really want a baby but we're not sure whether to wait or just keep trying until god blesses us with a baby.
    alaska_mommy replied to tiffanymcbee1215's response:
    I know what you mean. I'm still trying to adjust to not being pregnant's such a jarring change from pregnant to not-pregnant.
    If you need to take some time to heal emotionally there's nothing wrong with that, or if you feel like trying right away you should be able to. Most docs say after 1 cycle you're good to go. You can always ask your doctor if you're not sure when it's safe.
    Good luck and I hope you get your rainbow baby!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I am almost 25 years old, married to a wonderful man since 07-07-07. I had my first m/c on Dec. 28, 2008, my 23rd birthday. I then became pregnant and...More

    Helpful Tips

    How to more easily read discussions
    Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 20 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.