Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Body Issues after Stillbirth
An_187257 posted:
So it's been a month since I was diagnosed with no fluid at my 20 week ultrasound. A week later I had a medical termination and delivered. Aside from dealing with all the emotional turmoil and residual sadness/anger I am now super frustrated at my body. I was in great shape before my pregnancy. I gained about 22 lbs and have lost only 8 of those pounds so far. I'm trying to move on every day and rebuild my life for the sake of my son and husband, but when I can't even fit into my old clothes it's just a daily reminder of this great tragedy. I haven't lost any weight in the last two weeks and wonder if it's just going to stay on forever now.

Anyone have some advice on how to lose the weight? I've been eating healthy and started exercising about two weeks ago after my doctor cleared me for physical activity. Thanks for any input...really need some hope.

Mandy_Smiles responded:
I am so very sorry for your loss. I can relate to the frustration that you are feeling. Back in April I lost my baby in the 13th week and had a D&C. I am also feeling like my body will never go back to normal. I had gained about 10 lbs and I lost the weight but I can tell that my hormones will probably never be the same. It was not easy for me to lose the weight (I had to start exercising and change the way I eat) and I can tell that my metabolism is different now. When I lost the 10 lbs I still had to go out and buy new clothes because it just seems like things just didn't go back in their original places and my old clothes didn't fit even thought I am back down to my original weight. It is so frustrating. Also, I have never ever in my life been acne prone and when I was about 6 weeks pregnant I began to have issues with back and upper arm acne. Now it is over 2 months after the D&C and I am still battling the acne on my back and arms. My face is clear but I cannot wear my sleeveless shirts and it is hot outside. I am also embarrassed for my husband to even see me without a shirt on because of the acne and the scarring. This is not helping in the romance department since we are TTC again. My doctor recently did a blood test and I have no hormone in my system, so I can only assume that this is how I will be from now on. I wish I had answers for you and could tell you that your body would return to normal, but mine has not and I feel like it will not. Once again, I am so sorry for you loss and I hope that you will have better luck than me with getting back to normal.

teacherbeck responded:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my son at 20 wks also.

As for your body, it sounds like you are on the right track. Losing 8 pounds in a month is amazing (I thought most diet programs that are for long-term healthy weight loss say 1-2 lbs a week is ideal, it means a better chance of it staying off for good). Since you've recently been cleared for physical activity, I would say just go for it and be consistent. You (and your body) have been through a lot, so be patient with yourself.

mexichick replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Thanks for responding Mandy - I know what you mean about feeling embarassed w/ your husband; I feel so self-concious about my body and don't even want him to see me w/out clothes...fat, cellutlite, saggy boobs.
I'm hoping that after I get a period and my hormones regulate, the weight will start coming off.

mexichick replied to teacherbeck's response:
Thanks TeacherBeck - the first 8 lbs came off w/out effort....I wasn't dieting or exercising...they just were part of the pregnancy I think.
I'm trying to be patient, but it's so hard to move on. We are going to the beach in two weeks and i'm dreading it....it's supposed to be a nice distraction, instead I'm totally anxious about it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I were married April 2005. We started TTC in August of 2005 b/c we knew that due to my family history we would have difficulty conceivi...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.