Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How soon can we try to get pregnant again?
adamsocm25 posted:
I just wanted to start off by saying how very sorry I am for everyone's loss on here. I will keep you in my thoughts and pray that the Lord guides each of you during your time of healing.

My husband and I have been together 13 years, married 10 1/2. We tried to conceive about 7 years ago with no success. I soon learned that I am Hypothyroid. After 5 years of being on a roller coaster of Dr. appts., tests, and Synthroid dosage changes, I finally started getting "normal" range TSH #s and the Dr. found a consistent dosage that works.

So a year and a half ago, we started trying to conceive again. After a year with no luck, my OB prescribed Clomid. We took it in January and it worked right away! After all these years of trying, we finally learned on Feb. 8th that we were due Oct. 8th.

On Feb. 24th, my husband and my folks heard the baby's heartbeat with me for the 1st time. It was 156 bpm and the OB said it was very strong. However, a week ago today, on Mar. 3rd, I started having heavy bleeding. I went to the OB and she did a trans-vaginal ultrasound which revealed our little angel was still in my womb, but had no heartbeat.

The OB believes I had a "missed miscarriage" at around 8 weeks. Last Friday I had a D&C because my body wasn't expelling the pregnancy.

My husband and I are definitely not ready to try for another baby just yet. We're still going through the greiving process obviously. But I'm curious how long most of you waited before trying again? Is there a different recommendation for women who have D&C's?

mendezwife responded:
Hello
Sorry for you loss...We too just lost our twin sons Feb 21st. Almost 4 wks ago. (23 wks along, born alive but wasn't strong enough to come home with us )
I'd like to know as well, bc 2 wks ago I had a D & C & feel great! Its like my body needed it, I was having problems after vag giving birth to my twins.
My doc said wait 6 months, I go to her in April for my app. We are starting counseling 2m & I'm sure that will help us. We will prolly start trying around Aug, we want that. If its meant to be God will bless us again. He knows why & only He can do for us. I pray you find peace & hope. Good luck to you!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome to the Community, Adamsocm25

I'm also so sorry for your loss. Different doctors suggest a different range in waiting to start TTC after a miscarriage, considering how well the mother's body is healing. The WebMD article No Need Delay Pregnancy After Miscarriage states that "a new study suggests that there is no reason for many women to delay getting pregnant after a miscarriage. According to a new study, the sooner a woman conceives again, the better her chances of having a healthy pregnancy."

The best thing to do is to make sure that you are staying healthy and speak with your doctor about any possible risks that could occur with your personal medical history. Please take care and keep us posted on how you are doing and what your doctor suggests.
"What is lovely never dies, but passes into other loveliness, Star-dust, or sea-foam, flower or winged air. -Thomas Bailey Aldrich

oopyult responded:
Hi. I am sorry for your loss. I was 17 wks along jan 14 and went for my checkup and they couldnt find a heart beat. I had to give birth and get a D&C. My doc told us to wait 2 to 3 months before trying, but i found a article here on web md that says there is no need to wait after a miscarriage. Its been 2 months since and we have started trying. So my advice is when YOU are ready, you can start trying again.

BabySamba replied to oopyult's response:
Hello, I am sorry for everyones loss. I miscarried almost 6 months ago. My doctor told me to wait for two cycles before trying. He said it was to make sure that ovulation was happening. It took me 3 months before I was ready to try again. I say as long as you feel your body and you are ready then try. Take care to all and good luck.

mendezwife replied to BabySamba's response:
Hello ladies
I think thats all good advice. Sometimes our bodies just know when to start again. Its amazing how good you can feel so soon, even when our hearts are still mourning.

Good advice!
Take care ladies & god bless

SBRIGA12 responded:
I am so sorry for your loss. (((Hugs))). In August 2010, I had a miscarriage. I was 8 weeks. My doctor advised waiting 3 cycles before trying again. I waited and found out in Dec 2010 I was pregnant again. I am currently 17 weeks right now and doing well. My doctor feels this one will have a happy ending. Do what you feel in your heart. If it is meant to be, it will happen. I wish you all the luck with ttc.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I had a natural m/c feb 10 so I feel for you. I never got to hear my lil one's heartbeat. My first doc said wait atleast one cycle before trying again and then I went to another ob/gyn who knows my history more including that I have pcos and she told me that there is no reason to wait and that I could start trying right away. There are multiple studies saying that people who conceive within 6 months of having a m/c are less likely to m/c the next pregnancy than those who waited. Just thought I would throw that out there. It mainly depends on when you feel you are ready. I mourned and still have moments of sadness but I am ready to be a mommy and so I am trying my best. I am now 8 days late. With a neg test on last thur but this is what happened last time I got preg. So not testing again for a week or two. I believe you should follow your heart and when you feel ready than go for it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I lost my baby Raymond Lee on Febuary 14, 2011. I miss my angel and I think and about him EVERYDAY . "Raymond mommy loves you and you are not F...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.