Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unsure...
An_187306 posted:
PLEASE NOTE: If you are a squeamish person, or someone who would take offense to a story about a possible miscarriage, do not read the following. I'm not sure what's happening to my body, and as many of my age group, would rather turn to the internet (where yes, VERY intelligent people do roam) than go sit in a waiting room for six hours (the average wait around here) if I do not need to go.
Also, no getting mad. I'm just being honest.

I am, as of last month, 21 years old, meaning I am no longer covered under my mother's insurance.
I am pretty sure that I had a miscarriage, though, if true, I didn't know I was pregnant. I had surgery a about a month and a half ago, during which I knew I was not pregnant (they ran a urinalysis before the CT scan the determined if I needed the appendectomy in the first place) and had chocked up the almost-three-weeks-late period as a side effect, but now I've been bleeding on and off for about two weeks. I have unbelievable cramps, absolutely terrible, and today, while showering for work, I thought I was unlucky enough to pass a rather large blood clot. While attempting to clean it up (or let it wash down the drain) I noticed it didn't seem right. It wasn't all the dark red it should have been, and seemed to be getting lighter in color as the water ran over it. I had to pick it up to see, because it seemed to be clogging the drain, which was just weird.
Now, being slightly curious about the thing that had just fallen out of me, I noticed it looked like skin. It seemed about the size of my palm and as if it were some sort of sack-shape, with holes in it, though it's not like I was running my hands all over it taking mental pictures. I was very startled.
I removed it from the shower, discarding it the best way I knew how. My substantial stomach pains had gone down
though I noticed my period was significantly heavier. I went about my day, going to work and coming home as I normally do, though I stopped at the bar with some friends after work, our Thursday night ritual.
During my lunch break at work I called my mom, told her what had happened this morning, and she (being an Army medic and a civilian Paramedic/RN) told me I should see a doctor.
Now, I feel fine. As a matter of fact today is the one day I didn't want to cry while at work. I've been having my period for two weeks, with a day every few days where I don't bleed at all, although the pain has been almost unbearable almost every day.
My mother's suggestion was go home, get some sleep, go see a doctor in the morning, but as I do not have health insurance I don't want to just go and have to deal with the seriously high bills. Also, my mom suggests going to the hospital for a migraine, because I'm her first child to leave the nest, I live very far away, and she' a born worrier.
Now, SHOULD I see a doctor? Like, if I'm still feeling unwell on Monday, should I go? Or do I have to go tomorrow?
Is this a life or death situation, like my appendix, where I'm lucky I listened to my mother and saw a doctor because I got the just in the nick of time? Or is this something that can just blow over, like it will pass on it's own or something?
I don't like hospitals, I take after my mother and start worrying that I'm going to die as soon as the doctor leaves the room with giving me a diagnosis, it drives me insane. Is there something I can do to make sure I'm okay before I have a doctor do it for me?
I feel okay, I mean, I was at work all day today, and have just been feeling like my normal period self today. No exceptional cramping, no more huge mass.
And I have the next two days off, so would it be okay for me to wait a few days? See how this progresses?
Trust me, if there was a baby in there, it's either gone or about to be gone... I have been having my period for a few weeks now, and it's been really heavy the last two days. No chance of survival.
Also, this type of thing runs in my family (my mom had three miscarriages before she was successfully pregnant with me.)

An_187307 responded:
Also, it may seem from my story that I don't care. To be honest, doctors have been telling me since I was sixteen and my cycle stopped completely (after a year of regular hormone levels the likes of which an adult has, not someone going through puberty) that without hormone therapy, if I ever managed to get pregnant it would be a miracle to keep it to term. I knew this was a possibility. Sure, I didn't know I was pregnant and that makes it a little easier to deal with but trust me, I've always wanted to have kids and yes, this is breaking my heart that it happened this way. It only confirms what I've been told since puberty, that it would be a miracle for me to have my own children. And while I'm not looking to become a mother any time soon, it does still hurt.
So don't think I don't care. I just need to step back from it all otherwise I feel worse.

brokeninside replied to An_187307's response:
As a person who has had experience with multiple pregnancy losses I would say watch the bleeding, take your temp a few times a day for the next week or so to make sure you are not running a fever (don't take pain meds as they reduce fever and you may not know you have one) and keep track of how you are feeling...if you feel run down or overly crampy or anything, call the doc. Other than that our bodies usually take care of themselves. This is NOT a medical opinion, just what I have learned from my life. If all else fails, call your doc and ask...a phone call is free!

Spotlight: Member Stories

DD 4.23.08 . Happy and Healthy***Thank you LORD!*** Angel Baby at 10 weeks D&E on 12/29/09 Angel Baby at 6 weeks Natural MC 8/20/10

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.