Skip to content
Can I get pregnant on an expired Mirena IUD
crazy_hormones posted:
I am 29, and have never been pregnant. I have been using Depo since I was 17, until I switched to an IUD. My Mirena IUD has been in longer than 5 years. It expired about 5 months go. Lately I have noticed that my breasts are becoming fuller and more sensitive, I have been EXTREMELY hormonal, and have been crying for no reason. I haven't had a normal period since I was 17, mostly I haven't had any, just some spotting here and there. I have been freaking out, because I think I might be pregnant, so I took a test, and it came out negative. But my question still stands, is it possible to get pregnant with an expired Mirena IUD still in place?

keri87 responded:
I see that you posted this 4 years ago and my question to you is did you ever go to the doctor to find out what was going on? i ask because im 26 years old ive had a child about five years ago and i had the mirena put in and it expired in jan. of 2014 and ive been late for 19 days now with all symptoms of being preg. sore nipples, extremely hormonal, cravings, restlessness , weight gain, and pain on my left side, with back pain. etc. but ever test that i take says im not preg. ive noticed alot of women have been having these problems after the expiration date of the IUD. if you would be so kind will you help me with what you found out ?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married mother of four who just gotten her tubs tied (well actually my doc says he burnt them) , but upon have my return visit with him he tell me , &...More

Helpful Tips

Why 1st morning urine?
I bet some of you are wonder why you should always use 1st morning urine when testing with home tests. Well the theory is that because ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 69 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.