Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Posting to the communities has been restored. Our technical team is still completing ongoing maintenance, and you may experience some technical problems.Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Can a UTI cause a false positive pregnancy test?
An_186380 posted:

My girlfriend (19 years old) went to an urgent care facility tonight (campus health was closed by the time she got off class) to get medicine for an awful UTI. They tested her urine (which had blood in it) there and it resulted in a positive pregnancy test. Is it possible for her to have a false positive because of the UTI? Her period is supposed to come this weekend, around February 5th.

Her last normal period was December 13th-16th. We had unprotected sex on the 17th, but it was the last time we had sex until January 10th. She had her period again on January 1st, only two weeks after her last one ended. That period ended on January 5th, and she went to her gynecologist on January 6th to get checked out. She got tested for HIV, gonnorhea, and pregnancy, all of which came back negative. We have been having unprotected sex this month, but we did use protection from January 11th-18th when she was ovulating.

Is it possible that the UTI caused a false positive on the pregnancy tonight?

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
She should talk to her doctor but usually the hormone needed to make a pregnancy test positive, is not usually around for a normal UTI. The UTI could be caused by the pregnancy, it's not unusual for pregnant women to have UTIs.

Spotlight: Member Stories

sorry it took me so long. but to those who were wondering about what i had done as far as taking a test. well i was positive twice and so i have seen ...More

Helpful Tips

trying to get pregnant
.. im trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs.. im nearly hopeless..pls help More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.