Skip to content
Can a UTI cause a false positive pregnancy test?
An_186380 posted:
Hi,

My girlfriend (19 years old) went to an urgent care facility tonight (campus health was closed by the time she got off class) to get medicine for an awful UTI. They tested her urine (which had blood in it) there and it resulted in a positive pregnancy test. Is it possible for her to have a false positive because of the UTI? Her period is supposed to come this weekend, around February 5th.

Backstory:

Her last normal period was December 13th-16th. We had unprotected sex on the 17th, but it was the last time we had sex until January 10th. She had her period again on January 1st, only two weeks after her last one ended. That period ended on January 5th, and she went to her gynecologist on January 6th to get checked out. She got tested for HIV, gonnorhea, and pregnancy, all of which came back negative. We have been having unprotected sex this month, but we did use protection from January 11th-18th when she was ovulating.

Is it possible that the UTI caused a false positive on the pregnancy tonight?

c

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
She should talk to her doctor but usually the hormone needed to make a pregnancy test positive, is not usually around for a normal UTI. The UTI could be caused by the pregnancy, it's not unusual for pregnant women to have UTIs.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 26 yrs old and recently married. We've been together for 5 yrs, so we're ready to get going and have a family. :) So excited to some day ...More

Helpful Tips

Why 1st morning urine?
I bet some of you are wonder why you should always use 1st morning urine when testing with home tests. Well the theory is that because ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 69 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.