Skip to content
Birth control shot and unexpected misscarriag
An_186951 posted:
About 9 weeks ago i got the depo birth control shot. Unexpectedly I had a very clear miscarriage 5 weeks later. I took a test before i got the shot but it came up negative leaving me to believe I was alright to get the shot and drink coffee etc. The miscarriage was very clear. Afterwards i did not go the doctors because I did not know i was even pregnant at the time. My boyfriend does not know so it was hard to retain from sex before I knew if I needed an other shot ( I believe you do need an other one because they do not work if already pregnant- If someone knows please let me know). Also (second question) I have been having brown discharge instead of my period this month, could i be pregnant again (my boyfriend uses a condom each time once we start) It has been about 12 days since we have last had sex is it too early to take a test and get real results. Please post if you know anything about the situation or can answer some of my questions. thank you very much

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello, Anon_182444 and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

You'll need to talk to your doctor to find out if you need to change from your regular schedule of Depo Provera injections or not. Brown discharge is usually old blood, but if you're concerned you may have an infection, please see your doctor. Your doctor will also be able to retest to see if you're pregnant or not.

Let you're regular moderator, Andie, know how you;re doing,

Byroney

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the porud mother of two beautieful boys. I am 21 year old and I love to cook. my boys help me cook everyday

Helpful Tips

Why 1st morning urine?
I bet some of you are wonder why you should always use 1st morning urine when testing with home tests. Well the theory is that because ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 69 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.