Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cramping, spotting, sore breast, no period
Trying2KeepaLevelHead posted:
Hi, I recently turned 30 in July and my fiance and I haven't been activily trying to conceive but we haven't been not trying - if that makes sense - we are conscious that we want a child but we haven't been active like rabbits trying to create one. I have been on and off of birth control since I was 20 in many attempts to regulate my cycle. I last used BC back in July 2009 and my cycle has been regular up until May of this year. Oddly enough, it was in May the my fiance and I started talking about children and stopped using other forms of protection. My last period to date began on August 31st and ended on September 4th...it is now November 3rd and I still haven't had a normal period. I say normal because I had very light spotting that occured October 15th - October 17th. This bleeding was only visable on tissue and wasn't enough to be visable on a panty liner. Shortly after the spotting I experienced daily off and on nausea...I wouldn't vomit, just all of a sudden I would experience these queezy spells. I was also bloated, fatigued and had sore breast. I took a at home pregnancy test that returned a negative result and I figured this was because I tested too early but was in fact actually pregnant. On the 24th of October directly after have sex with my fiance, I noticed very light spotting - again nothing visable on a panty liner just tissue. It only lasted for a few hours but it scared the hell out of me. I told my fiance that he needed to take me to the hospital and he (having previous children) said I was probably just prego and that was normal. The very next day my daily nausea vanished, the bloating went away and my breast were no longer tender. Prior to this I was certian that I was pregnant but this killed that enthusiasm for me. In about two or three days following my sore breast returned and so did the constant bloat and on and off nausea. To date the symptoms seem to come and go. Some days I experience this dull cramping like my period is about to start and it never does. At this point I just wish it would already. I am very tall and thin so I can see that my uterus is swollen. Also I've had a small cyst in my right breast for about five years now that was always on the right of my nipple, it has sinced moved to just under my nipple. All together, I've taken 4 home pregnancy test and all were negative...that sure feeling I had about being pregnant is gone and it's been replaced with fear as to what is wrong with me. My doctor is out of town and pretty booked for the few weeks following his return. I've told my fiance at this point I want to go to the emergency room, but he doesn't feel my symptoms warrent an emergency bill. He often ask me what I think is wrong and I have no idea. Can any one assist me? Has any one exprienced this and can they tell me what it turned out to be? Please, note that this is difficult for me, I do not want to be one of those women so eager to be prego they ignore major health problems or make up symptoms. I'm am open to other possibilities I just need some ideas to brainstorm.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Hello. Multiple things could be happening with you right now. It does sound like some fairly irregular cycles since the end of august but it could be due to them going back to irregular. (the only times my cycles were ever normal was when I was on YAZ. I have PCOS so whenever i wasn't on them I would be very very irregular). I stopped birth control a year ago in september and they stayed reg for about 3 months and then went irregular. When I missed my cycle I took a test and it was negative. So I waited 4 days and tested again and still negative so I presumed that it was probably the PCOS acting up. Well when I was close to what I would have been if I would have had my next cycle I decided to take a test and it was very faintly positive (on CD58). I unfortunately miscarried though. I have been tracking my cycles very closely since then (didn't tell husband much about it since it was primarily to figure out when AF would show since my cycles were so irregular. It took me 77 days before AF showed after I miscarried). I got pregnant in July and I am currently 16weeks 2 days pregnant. Its possible that you may be pregnant and you may be one of the few that don't show up positive on tests (do you have any previous children?). In which the best way to tell for sure would be an u/s and possibly a test called an HCG quantitative test. Which measures the amount pregnancy hormone in your blood verses your urine, this tells you a number verses a yes/no answer so it can tell you even in really early pregnancy. I would not go to the emergency room as it is not an urgent thing (though it may feel like it at times). However I would make an appointment with your provider (or an ob/gyn) so that you can get checked out. It could be that your hormones are really off and you aren't pregnant you just have the symptoms (I had that for like 2 months after I m/c). Or it could be that you indeed are early in pregnancy.The light spotting in mid october could have been implantation bleeding or just random spotting. And it is common in early pregnancy to spot after intercourse though its super scary. I am afraid to even now being 16 weeks pregnant to have intercourse at times for that same fear of spotting. When you go to the doctor I would ask for some blood work and an u/s. The u/s to primarily see if there is anything else going on like ovarian cysts which can cause some bloating or fibroids (benign tumors that don't generally hurt anything) or things like that or if you are indeed pregnant you will see the fetus by then. Blood work to check for pregnancy hormone levels, blood counts, thyroid levels (which if they are too low or high can reak havoc on hormones, it can also cause some difficulty for some to get pregnant), and possibly some other hormone levels to see if there is something else going on. Also mention that the cyst in your breast has moved as they may want to do a breast exam or mammogram/ultrasound on that breast to make sure its still benign and there are no problems with it. Also if your doctor is out of town and you are nervous there is supposed to be someone on call for each department so they may be able to get you in with a different provider which would save you some money instead of going to the e.r. Good luck and best wishes
Heather(24),DH Lee(25)PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD based on LMP and my last U/S 4/17/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am an engaged 24 year old mom of the most beautiful little boys in the world. :) We recently lost our 2nd child in the 14th week of my pregnancy on ...More

Helpful Tips

Am I Pregnant Poll!
If you're wondering if you're pregnant, why not add a Poll onto your Discussion? It's easy--just start a Discussion, then beneath the ... More
Was this Helpful?
100 of 133 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.