Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Light line on one test, negative on other tests
sdadkin posted:
I am actually asking this for my friend. Her and her husband had been trying for years to have a baby. She is currently 12 days late. She took one test on Monday in the middle of the day and got a very faint line. She took another one that night that was negative. She took one more test yesterday that had a faint line. I told her to get a digital test. She took that this morning first thing and it said "not pregnant". She is waiting for her dr to call back so she can go for a blood test.

I thought the digital tests were more accurate? When I was pregnant with my second baby I got a light line on my pregnancy test and when I took a digital test that same day it said "pregnant". She is my best friend and she has tried for so long I just really want her to be pregnant! She has never been this late with her period before nor has she ever gotten a false positive test before. Is there anything that causes a false positive? She is not on any kind of fertility drugs or anything.

Bulley1030 responded:
Ok I am a certified lab technician and do these tests all the time so here goes. Any pregnancy test goes through rigorous assessment so they are all the same. Some just have difficulty reading the line tests, so digital are used to make that part easier, but are no better at detecting hcg than the line tests. The reason it was positive in the morning and neg at night is because the urine is more diluted at night. The digital tests are not very good at faint tests, but a faint line is a positive and means she could be very early on if there was an actual line and not an "evaporation" line. She could also be early enough for her hcg level to be diluted later on in the day. If she is still worried tell her to only used first morning urine and test again or go to her doc for a blood test. Hope this explains everything! And best wishes!

sdadkin replied to Bulley1030's response:
She actually took a total of 4 tests. The first test was around lunch time on Monday and it had a light positive line. The second was that evening and it was negative. She took a test yesterday evening that had a light line and she took the digital one this morning first thing and it was negative.

What exactly is an evaporation line? She sent me a picture of the tests (we live about 45 minutes away from each other) and I could see the lines in both tests.

phoenixfire76 replied to sdadkin's response:
An evaporation line is where you put down a test down after a negative result and then look at it again after the the 10 min mark and see a line. It is usually caused by evaporation, making the test line stand out more and making it look like it's a positive result when it isn't.
For the best chance at accurate results home urine test should only be done with 1st morning urine. And yes, sometimes the digital tests have a hard time picking up those 'faint' lines that you sometimes get on the two line home urine tests. So with two 'faint' positives I would suggest she see a Dr. for a blood test. My stand has always been that a line is line no matter how 'faint'.
Best of luck.
Me:35, DH:45, DD:17, DD:17, DD:16, DS:13, DD:11, DS:9 and 2 cats.

sdadkin replied to phoenixfire76's response:
My friend said the line appeared as soon as she took the test. She spotted a little bit yesterday and she told me she didn't want to take anymore tests or get the blood test. She said she is just going to wait it out and see what happens.

I can only imagine how hard it must be for her. She wants to get pregnant so bad! They became foster parents a year and a half ago and they were placed with triplets (which they are now in the process of adopting). So they have kids, but it's just not the same when you want so badly to have your own!

karidawn2000 replied to phoenixfire76's response:
I had the same problem, I posted earlier took 2 tests @ Dr. they were both positive, but faint and discredited. One test the nurse told the helper she must have done it wrong. So another was done by the nurse. The nurse said negative the helper said positive there is a line. The nurse said no, the tests must be old,she is to old put down negative. Waiting for blood results two days now. I am 40 with a tubal ligation. I called and spoke with the helper she now says they were both negative the lines were pale and then went away. so what is the thought????? See my post in womens community- took two two test at Dr. that were positive and the Dr. says probably not????

phoenixfire76 replied to sdadkin's response:
I know how hard it must be for her to not know but I would really try and encourage her to either test again with 1st morning urine or see a Dr. for a blood test.
Best of luck.

phoenixfire76 replied to karidawn2000's response:
Hopefully the blood test will have conclusive answers for you. Though if you still feel like you are unhappy with the treatment and/or care you are getting from you Dr. and/or the nurses/staff then you may want to think about finding a new Dr.
Best of luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the porud mother of two beautieful boys. I am 21 year old and I love to cook. my boys help me cook everyday

Helpful Tips

tip
have heard the same thing from my sister who is the mother of five so this is more then likely true.. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful